Perch at Dover

coolwater

Nothin much happening from shore anywhere that I've heard of. Went to the pier last week waiting for my gf to finish her shift, 2 hrs with live worms on a pickerel rig, not even a goby bite. Lots of fish jumping, likely carp & cats but even they weren't co-operative. Different day maybe. It usually picks up for a few weeks mid september.

Yes spring, like april, is apparently the time to go for perch at port dover. I have also heard that if you go in the fall, oct and nov to pt. maitland pier, you can catch a lot of walleye as they run up the grand river that time

You heard right. Use large minnow baits and spoons. Reef runners, Husky Jerks, Bomber Long A's and Orange crush or Blueberry Muffin spoons.

Snagalot, as Dover doesn't seem to be great now, perhaps try pt. maitland instead? I can guarentee you that there is always something willing to bite there, and for some reason if you strike out, you could either drive up to dunnville, byng island, or caledonia dam. All three have a good assortment of roughfish and some walleye. I have even caught a few perch at Byng, nothing huge mind you.

Thanks guys for all the input. I remember that Dover, Maitland, Pt. Abino and those spots were good for perch in the spring just like Atherley and Couchiching but I thought there might just be a little action this time of year. Was on the Grand on the 13th, caught a few silvers and one walleye. Talked to a guy who had been at Maitland earlier in the day, nada. Might try a few spots above the dam at Caledonia or drive down to Jordan. The suggestion from the Old Ironmaker sounds good, never tried that area in the fall, will mark it on my calendar.

If you try Caledonia some time, I think it would be best to fish at the river below the dam there. If you use jigs tipped with worms, or a simple worm, splitshot and hook, you can catch your usual white bass, bullhead, channel cat, smallmouth, and walleye, but there are also a ton of bowfin (also called dogfish as a slang name), they are amazing fighters and look really cool close up. They are one of the few fish classified as a living fossil. Dogfish also love a big worm on a hook, and they hang out right around all those bullrushes below the dam, but I know people also catch them right in the rapids where the water pours down off of the dam.

If you try Caledonia some time, I think it would be best to fish at the river below the dam there. If you use jigs tipped with worms, or a simple worm, splitshot and hook, you can catch your usual white bass, bullhead, channel cat, smallmouth, and walleye, but there are also a ton of bowfin (also called dogfish as a slang name), they are amazing fighters and look really cool close up. They are one of the few fish classified as a living fossil. Dogfish also love a big worm on a hook, and they hang out right around all those bullrushes below the dam, but I know people also catch them right in the rapids where the water pours down off of the dam.

Interesting.

I've fished Caledonia my whole life and never caught or seen one there.

No surprise though, I think I'm the last surviving human who has never caught one on long point bay either, lol.

I really want to catch one and very much appreciate your advice! Thanks.

Very interesting! I used to fish the old dam at Caledonia quite a bit. Wade out, use lead head jigs, minnow type baits, caught quite a few walleys. I live in the Hammer and when quite young we used fish in some areas at the bottom of Woodward Ave. and caught bowfins there. Never knew what they were and were kind of weird looking. Someone at that time told us they were members of the shark family.

Anyhow, I have not fished the "new" dam and will have to give it a try before the year's end. Thanks for all the info.