Wakami Lake PP

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice - I'm heading to this park for some walleye fishing over the coming August long weekend.

I've never been up that way and this is a rare opportunity for me to get away on my own (with a fishing buddy, but no kids) so I want to make the most of it. We'll be towing my tinny and strapping my friend's canoe to the roof, so we'll have those two options.

I'd love to get your feedback on experiences at this lake. I'd also like to know if any of the nearby lakes (little Wakami, east Wakami, etc.) are worthwhile to portage into. It'd be nice to nab a big pike in addition to the walleye but I hear Wakami doesn't produce bruiser northerns.

Also, can anyone tell me where I can get a basic fishing map of this lake (a bit last minute so I can't really order one online)?

Much appreciated.

MoB

Wakami is a great little park, hopefully you have one of the waterfront sites, you won't be disappointed with the great vibe there.

I haven't paddled the loop through Little Wakami etc, (Kevin Callan covers it in one of his books, they fished while paddling too, so maybe walk into Chapters and give it a read)

there seems to be plenty of whitefish in Wakami, if you're interested in them

if you're adventurous, take a look at your map, look north to the logging roads north of the EB Eddy Road, try to stay away from the lakes that outfitters have camps on, and go portaging/ fishing for the day, I had a memorable day back there a few years ago

Thanks for this, Chris. Really helpful info.

I'm definitely looking forward to it. I've got a couple of lakes picked out to bushwhack to - we'll see if it happens!

Anyone know where I might pick up an "Adventure Fishing Maps" style of fishing map for this lake? I don't have time to order it online some I'm looking for a retailer in the GTA.

Cheers,

MoB