My First G/Bay Pike of 2013

motv8tr

Well, I got a surprise text late this morning, 11:47 to be exact saying we were good to go fishing today...didn't take me long to call him up and set a meeting time. I didn;t figure the chances of catching anything were that great, but it beat washing the car and siding on the house, so off I went...with my second rod this time.

A little after 12:30 I'd say, we were off. The spot he picked first surprised me, we had got Bass there in the past, never Pike, and the weeds are really late coming up, but whatever. Within 5 min he had a fish on...cool..., this time it was his turn for equipment problems...he managed to get it to the side of the boat and before I could get the net (he said he didn't need it) the clip on his swivel broke and bye bye fish and lure...his favorite Mepps Black Fury...I can relate...

We reposition, he ties his new lure on, no leader this time. Nothing happened for a while, we move a little further out and down and switch up our offerings, before long, he has another, he says bigger than the first, which was about the size of mine the other day...got it near the boat, not sure what happened, but he lost it.

The wind picked up a bit, so he decided to move to a spot that was a little more sheltered. While we were moving I switched up my lure again. Got settled into the new spot, threw my Mepps 4 out there and she bit...a nice little tug, a bit of weight to this one...I played a bit but didn't want to take the chance of losing it, so under the net went and into the boat....

This one was a 26", with a decent Girth to her, and will make a tasty dinner I'm sure. When my neighbors husband gets home he's going to show me how to clean it.

Hopefully I'll get another shot at them before too long...

Maureen

Ya Phil, it's been a long time since I've been able to do that :) I had hoped to get out to the Kawartha's for some Bass this week as well, but couldn't work it out...

I'm hoping to get out more this year than I have in the past few...