Newbie Fly Tyer

FloatnFly

Hey all,

as the topic says, I'm just getting ready to purchase my first vice to start tying my own flies, I work with a bunch of hunters so furs and feathers are definitely not in short supply. Just got some turkey feathers from a friend, so looking for any tips or advice/patterns i could tie with turkey/duck/goose feathers as well as deer hair in the fall, and possibly coyote

Edited by FloatnFly

Well you'll need a few other materials for most patterns, with some hour glass eyes you could make clouser minnows with the coyote, you could make mice or other topwaters with the deer depending on how long it is, endless possibilities with that stuff. Shoot me a pm and I can try to help you more, good luck!

yea i realize i'll need more materials then just the thread and furs/feathers, would mostly be interested in trout/salmon an bass patterns.

the turkey feathers i got actually change colour depending on the angle, from jet black to copper, to orange to red to green kinda cool

Oh nice, I think I know the ones you're thinking of, haven't tried them yet but they look awesome! Try the clousers for bass, if you have longer deer hair definitely try spinning it, there are lots of good videos online on how to do it, and once you get good at it you open up sooo many doors! I also have a great crayfish pattern you could make with coyote, I'll pm it to you :)

that would be greatly appreciated, i'll have access to the entire deer carcass, well anything that isn't damaged by the bullet wound anyway, and their party usually shoot about 6 deer a year, the way im seeing it, its a hell of a lot of flies i won't have to buy.

the turkey feathers i have came off the tail around the bottom edges

before you get specific on what fly to ty

just go ahead and have fun...experiment

noting more satisfying than catching a fish on something that's yours

enjoy!!!!!!!!!

i head ya there, make something that looks like a bug, hope it works lol i like experimenting, so i think this will be a good avenue

the Cpl thousand flies I have tied has been fun

got a little strange when daughter wanted a set for earings..lol

a little adjusting some coloured feathers and they looked great

LOL, I am ashamed to say that I have done the same, except I got $50 for them!

Edited by Christopher k

Found this book very easy to follow and it covers alot of common and good patterns of dries, wet, nymphs, streamers and salmon patterns. By the time you finish tying everything in it, you'll have little issues tying much of anything.

Gathercole-bible.JPG