Man Survives Bear Attack

Big Cliff

I think you'd have to encounter a LOT of black bears before running across one that wanted to eat you. Wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yes... Yell lots when in the bush... You are right if they hear you coming most wild animals will flee!

A bear banger is your best defence against stuborn bears... But Even a bowie knife has stopped one in in it's tracks that I know of...

MNR employee almost killed on the Spruce River Road hwy #527 North of Thunder Bay ( A young girl employed by the MNR) was attacked and dragged into the bushes before her boyfriend/co worker could stab it with his (believe it or not pen knife)!

Even a minor deterance if the stab wound was directed at the heart could be fatal to the bear...

So noize can work (mods correct my spelling please)!

Regards,Pat

I don't know that I would want to try walking around the bush in June or July with even a non-restricted gun in Ontario. If a CO saw you, he would probably charge you with hunting out of season. Even if you weren't, he'd still lay the charge and seize the gun. You'd probably have to hire a lawyer to go to court to get the charges thrown out and then still fight to get the gun back. The CO doesn't care because he has a charge to his credit and he gets paid anyway whether he's in the bush or in court. Unfortunately the mentality around firearms in Ontario is far far different than in BC. My son got his PAL out there in one four hour course. Here in Ontario, one of the instructors who used to live down the street from me and who was a retired CO quit because the red tape was getting so bad and they kept stacking more and more stuff on the course. Now I know I'm a little long in the tooth, but when I took my licensing course in1964, and I will admit to not having hunted for 20 yrs or more. at that time you could not carry a gun in the bush in the off season.

firearms licenses are federal and not provincial which is why it's called the canadian firearms safety course. that said, one can simply opt to challenge the non restricted exam to obtain that license and then challenge the restricted exam afterwards (you need non-resticted before obtaining restricted) and you're good to go. taking either course is not mandatory to obtain either license, but the hunting course is mandatory to obtain your hunting license which must be acquired before taking the turkey hunting course.

most CO's apply common sense and if you're hiking or fishing with applicable gear and don't have any camo or hunting equipment they will not assume you're hunting. carrying a firearm in the bush does not imply you are hunting.

SmackUm that is an interesting story.

Did it make the news? Is it online? If so can you put it up please.

many people who live in bear country claim more bears are getting killed since the cancellation of the spring bear hunt. the majority also resort to the SSS rule to avoid any legal problems and headaches. i'm willing to bet if the guy from this story had a firearm it would have simply been another case of SSS and we wouldn't have heard a thing about it...

I'm glad the guy survived, crappy news about the dog though.

Out of all my years in the bush hunting and fishing etc, nothing ever scared me as much as getting rushed by an aggressive female bear. Seriously I don't think my heartrate returned to normal for at least 4 hours after the experience. That was just a few blocks from my house too, and I was with my kids. Thankfully it ended well and nobody was hurt/dead. Because I was unprepared for an incident, the only weapon I had was a lousy fillet knife, lol.

When a bear comes from 100 yards to 5 feet away in just a few seconds, it's quite the experience. Even with a gun, I'm not that confident I could shoot anything other then the head, anyhow.

Where I live in NW Ontario, the bears are becoming more aggressive and it just seems to come with the shift in nature. We now have an explosion of deer in the area, as well as rabbits. With them came cougars. My whole life I never saw a cougar in the wild, now in the last 7 years I've seen 3. The last one being two years ago, again, just by my house, actually almost the exact same spot the bear rushed me at, lol. Wolves as well, just seems like an explosion in the population lately, and all the animals mentioned are pushing more and more into populated areas.