rapala avantis vs rapala griffin baitcaster combo

redpearl99

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to post an update and once again thank Angler Management and Danbob for giving me their old rod and reel. I now have a nice Abu Garcia Blackmax and BPS extreme casting rod for this year. I think it is a great first time baitcaster combo.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated

I dont get why ppl buy starter reels... What a waste of $$$. Buy a proper reel the first time, and u dont go and buy a better reel a couple months later. The curado is an amazing deal at $160 dollars when u take into consideration that a high end core is $400 plus tax. And is not really significantly better... Just lighter and smoother. Save the $$$ u have till spring to make the purchase.

To answer your question angler I think folks starting out are wary sinking $$$ into something they might not use, as well as, and with todays economy is very important is budget. The poster might be a high school kid without the means, I said might. Yes I'd rather someone get into a good baitcaster now rather than get frustrated trying to toss a small jig on it and quit.

And you offering your Abu Garcia is absolutely fantastic. Way to go man. Very generous of you, in fact I'm going to start a new thread on donations of equipment to kids.

EDIT/ I posted after the first page by mistake and see Danbob has contributed as well. Fantastic you two.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The BPS flyer.

As for a beginner reel, Shimano Citica without question.

Own 3 Citicas and 2 of them are E's. Awesome reel for the money. Own a BPS Clunn I've had for years with no issues as well.