grassy river

It,s been 20 years since I have been to this area. Back then you could get in to lake sinclair by truck

on the grassy river road or put in at the grassy river, at the bridge

I,am looking for an update on road condition and posable campimg with a tent trailer were the road meets lake sinclair. As well as early season fishing. It was allways great pike and walleye fishing

If any one can help me out, I would realy appreciate it, as we would like to lpan a trip back this spring

thanks

Wow... I saw the name grassy river road and it brought back great memories. The last time I was there was 3 years ago. This would be a guys annual outing but somethings come to a end. The roads at the best of times are in good shape as they were still logging when we would go up. The only caution I could give is be careful in the spring as the beaver ponds seem to flood during the thaw and you get little rivers flowing over the road,we would head up 1st week or 2nd week in June so the roads were not to bad and we would drive in all the way to Lake Sinclair.

When we started going there we would bring wood and supplies to make a camp and latrines and just leave stuff up the for the next group of people and this seemed to catch on and people would leave things like full canisters of propane(green bottles) and of course take the empties back. Never in my days going was there a issue of garbage.

Good luck and I envy you have fun

Ken

If you give a call up to the Watershed they might be able to help you further

705 665 4911

Edited by snackpack5150

1954 I am from the Timmins area and fish peterlong,kapiskong, sinclair whatever you want to call it haha. I don't go to the bridge often, but when I'm home for the summer(april 20th) currently in Toronto for school I can take a drive out to the area and give you an update around then what the roads are like around there. Usually I launch in Mica bay on Peterlong if you know where that is.

A lot has changed on that road in 20 years. There's a new bridge over the Grassy that can accommodate loaded logging trucks. The road bed was totally rebuilt and straightened in 2007-08. You can almost do a consistent 70km/hr from highway 560 for the entire 99 km to Timmins. This was the alternative road to highway 144 when 144 was closed by that big bush fire, Timmins # 9 last Spring. I'm in there 3 times a year. A lot of people bring 5th-wheelers and smaller motor homes into Sinclair. It got so bad that the Ministry had to start to enforcing the 21 days campsite rule. There has also been a lot of diamond drilling and other mining activity in the Sinclair/Sothman areas. For all the pressure, the fishing has stood up fairly well. Walleye, or "pickerel" as we native Northerners call them have survived well depsite the seines being used in the Spring every second year by the First Nations people from the Mattagami First Nation and the smallies are thriving. The losers in all of this seem to be the pike which we we seem to catch less and less of ( not that we want them anyway).

Oh I just looked at a map and I can see where your comming from now. From the south side of the lake. I know exactly where your talking about now. There were people camping in all kinds of spots there last summer. A couple of people let us launch out boat there and we camped on an island further up the lake. We had a truck and pulled a small boat and trailer to the campsite no problem. Grassy River road for you guys is called Pine St or Naybob road for Timmins people haha. The road is very well maintained.(for a dirt road)

thanks for all the great info. Its realy bringing back great memories.

My fist trip there was in 1972. It was the start of a ten day annual trip on till 1988

Two of us want to take our growen sons this spring

keep the info coming

thanks

If you have a boatch which Im assuming you do. I can show you a open camping spot a little further up the lake that you can have to yourselves with nobody around. Somebody even built an outhouse that this spot haha, plus they have a cutting board, a couple of benches, firepit ect.

Hi, ive fished up that way many times but i have not been for a couple years. We always took the 4x4s and made it where we needed to go. We always fished pike so i cant tell you about the pickeral, but the weather was really hot and the pike fishing was terrible compared to years past.

The water level was also quite low but with a good winter things could be lookin up. The road itself is pretty smooth sailing its only when you get off the main road it can get interesting. I hope this helps good luck.