PB Perch Yesterday!

tapout

Was out on Simcoe yesterday at Virgina Beach and had a great day. No wind and temps were comfortable. I did not use a hut. Cars, trucks, minivans, snowmobiles, ATV's and even a cesna that flew really low over the Hut-Town ( HT ) at maybe 150 - 200 feet up, it was all there. What are the minimum altitude limits for aircraft anyhow? I usually avoid the hustle and bustle of hut-town and yesterday was no different. On the way out I talked to a few people who were already set up and were catching nothing note worthy.

I took this info and headed away from HT and drilled a pair of holes. Got a hit within 30 seconds. Up comes..a 4 incher. Back down the hole it goes. After an hour and about 6 perch later with two 9 inch keepers I moved a couple hundred feet and again drilled another pair of holes. More of the same. I have now 5 perch at about 9 - 10 inches. Not looking too good. I pack up once again and this time I head on a long relocation walk and set up on a new spot. Bingo!

There they were. I got 13 keepers within the first half hour with all over 10 inches and 8 at 11 + inches. It petered down for the next 15 - 20 minutes so I drilled another set of holes about 30 feet away and there they were again. Once those holes slowed I drilled another 2 holes but apart so my fishing area would look diamond shaped from above. Then my arms were tired from drilling the 11+ inches of ice I just decided to cycle though those 6 holes and thats all she wrote. Kept getting consistent action the rest of the day by doing that with about 90 perch and 1 herring which was probably about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. That was my first ever herring so I guess thats a PB there too. lol. Back into the drink it went.

I caught my personal PB perch as well. She was 14 1/2 inches long with a 11 1/8th girth. Big swollen belly likely full of roe. Anyone wanna guess to a possible weight? As much as I wanted to keep her to show everyone and with my camera batteries dead, I decided to let her pass on her genetics and back down she went. I already had enough others. Came home with 39 in total. Spent many hours today filleting them and cooking a bunch with at least 2 more meals put in the freezer.

Was all the effort, lost sleep and money spent worth those meals of fish?

ABSOLUETLY!

Cheers everyone.

Tony.