Yet Another through the ice

mike rousseau

I drove by that river today and the rapids up river were crazy.... With extra flow from a thaw like this these small rivers get chewed up fast...

One of the fan boats went by me on the highway. I imagine it was on its way to search again.

I drove by this area in my boat on Saturday and there was a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile parked on the ice.

I drove by that river today and the rapids up river were crazy.... With extra flow from a thaw like this these small rivers get chewed up fast...

One of the fan boats went by me on the highway. I imagine it was on its way to search again.

I drove by this area in my boat on Saturday and there was a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile parked on the ice.

I would imagine that someone driving past in a boat would signal to those on the ice with heavy machines they might be testing their luck?

I'm not sure I'd even walk on that river right now. Let alone bring a ski-doo out there. Even last year when I went out on it or drove by on the bridge I was surprised at how far out from the mouth some guys would go. A little too close to open water for my tastes. And it's not exactly shallow there either.

Edited by Jigs

4" of ice, on a river, with warm temps... these deaths are incredibly unfortunate for the families. They're also completely preventable.

Stop driving heavy machines on thin ice.

its not driving machines on thin ice its stopping machines on thick ice

I would imagine that someone driving past in a boat would signal to those on the ice with heavy machines they might be testing their luck?

I didn't know it was possible to tell how thick ice is from a 1/4 mile away...

Care to explain how you measure ice thickness from that distance kemper...??? I'd LOVE to here this one......lol

He didn't mean *you* would gesture over to them. He meant that for them, seeing someone going buy in a boat, should have sent a signal to their brains that they're not on safe ice.

Ahhhhh

My bad....

Sometimes things can be interpreted differently online....

Sorry kemper

Edited by Mike Rousseau

Yup...he got his phone out, took his glove off to use it...phone was soaked, didn't work.

That part got to me too.

Exactly the reason my phone is always in a ziplock if I'm wading big water or on the ice. I've been swimming a few times on the river, and my phone always survives.

I totally understand that ice fishing is amazing but some will only learn once. I feel bad for his family that were left behind.

Maybe these people should be wearing a float suit that is what I wear ice fishing. If you don't have one and venture on thin ice try a life jacket.

Tragic really.. Myself, I don't like going on rivers in winter, the ice never really is that safe..

A man went through here in Sudbury last week.. Was fishing on a lake with 10" of ice, hit a weak spot on the way home, his sled wasn't going fast enough when it broke through.. My buddy saved him and brought him to the hospital. The victim was 74 and well experienced on this lake, just a freak thing really.