Want to Plan a Quinte trip for 'eyes - 1st ever

lhousesoccer

Missed the late fall open water window to make my first visit to Quinte ever, so now a friend and I are planning on giving it a shot on the hardwater this winter. I was hoping some OFC'ers might help us out with a few tips. Not looking for your secret spots etc. Just some generalizations.

Big 'eyes are the target, of course. Is last ice the best time, as spawn approaches? Or maybe timing doesn't matter that much and you can get them all winter long if you're in the right spots? Speaking of spots (or maybe "patterns" is a better way to put it), are you looking for a certain depth, and would that be deep or shallow, or on breaklines etc.

I've caught my share of walleye through the ice in small lakes, but I'm thinking Quinte might be a different beast, and with a limited amount of time, I'd like to try and narrow things down a bit before heading out on the ice.

We don't have sleds or 4-wheelers, so we're not as mobile as some of you, but we don't really want to be pinned down with a ice hut rental either. We'll probably be on foot. Do you need to be way offshore?

Thanks everyone!