Launch Ramp Road-trip -- Jan 3, 2013

superdad

Looks like the fat lady has sung her sad song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hay Bay is full of ice and we saw a couple out in front of Bayview Resort walking out there. Travelled around Route 9 back to Napanee and it's all ice and blowing snow.

The boat at my place has three feet of snow in it BUT there's a trail down past it, so with a little work and some sweat, it looks like we can it up to the road and ready to go. We'll wait for a nice day to spend some time and dig it out.

We were pretty glum looking at all the snow and ice and were even pondering getting out the sleds and augers.

We headed back from a gas purchase and went down to Rte 133 by the generating station - there's lots of open water there...... We drove down towards the ferry and had a look at the water from Bayside Drive, all we could see was ice from Keith Shoal all the way back towards the ferry, we didn't bother drive to the ferry to have a look, it would have to be iced in.

On our way back to Kingston, we stopped at Finkles Park Ramp.

IMG_0360-FinklesRampSign-4x6_zps56f5ffb2.jpg

The parking lot is plowed and so is the ramp.

IMG_0361_FinklesRamp-1-4x6_zpsac94a21f.jpg

A little closer inspection shows that a little sand or salt might be all that is needed to get the boat in the water.

IMG_0362-FinklesRamp-2-4x6_zps78d1afe7.jpg

After seeing the ramp, our spirits were brightened and there is hope full of it some soft water fishing after all. Only thing required would be decent weather and LITTLE winds......................

We had hope for the coming weekend BUT the forecasts are for 40-45KPH West Winds - not a good thing!!!!!!!

If you want to see the difference in a year have a look at what I posted last January - BIG difference.......

http://forum2.quintefishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13523&hilit=launch+ramp

Stay Tuned................

David aka Superdad

You must be a day ahead of us David, but thanks muchly for the report. I'm sure a lot of folks need to know what the ramps are like before heading out. Please take great care fishing soft water at this time of the year.

Hi Superdad,

Just saw this post :) Awesome! thnx for the update..

Sooo 40-45KPH West Winds .. would that me 4'+ waves.

I looked here Bath Weather Forcast

I always have launched at the ferry so I'm not sure about launching at Finkles.. are 20+km winds dangerous in the bath area for an 18' lund alaskan and

would I be able to safetly get the boat back on the trailer without damaging it?

I'd really like to fish this Saturday but if I can't I can't