BPS Open on Lake Simcoe

kickingfrog

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2012/10/20/angling-duo-does-it-again

While the third time's the charm — or so the saying goes — winning the Bass Pro Shops Lake Simcoe open for the fourth time felt pretty good for angling duo Bob Formosa and Jayson Saliba.

The pair weighed in with five bass totaling 27.05 pounds to take the $20,000 top prize at the Orillia waterfront Saturday afternoon, forcing Matt Belzil and Jason Clay's 25.65-haul into second place.

"It was a surprise," said Saliba, who came all the way from Windsor just for the event. "We figured we needed one more big fish."

The one-day tournament, in which participants can count both largemouth and smallmouth bass, isn't usually won on such a low weight, said Formosa, of Mississauga, adding they panicked a little as the 3 p.m. deadline loomed and doubled back to one of their more reliable spots to see if they could reel something in without any luck.

In 2010, Mark Moran and Joe Muszynski set a Canadian record at the event when they weighed in with a 31.5 pounds of smallmouth bass.

Last year, Brooklin couple Wayne and Gail Misselbrook clinched first place with a 28.5-pound bag of fish. This year, they finished a disappointing 18th with half the weight.

"The fish were there, they just didn't seem to want to bite," said Wayne, crediting the three fish they were able to bring to the scale, the largest of which was 6.15 pounds, to Gail.

"We relied on last year's spots," he said, adding, "We didn't adjust this year the way we should have."

Formosa and Saliba spent the six days leading up to the tournament pre-fishing.

"We were looking for areas where the fish were starting to collect," said Formosa, noting Saliba caught a 7.5-pounder Friday.

While they managed to hook two 5.95-pounders out on the water Saturday, the prize for biggest fish ultimately went to Derek Strub and Mike Desforges, who caught a 7.75-pound smallmouth.

This is the fourth time the 11-year-old event has been held in Orillia.

"Lake Simcoe is one of the best lakes in Ontario for catching bass," said Doug Bunker, one of the organizers, noting the catch-and-release tournament has only increased in popularity since arriving, with 59 teams comprised of some of Canada's top anglers weighing in this year.

"They can't get enough. They can't believe the fishing is this good," he said.

[email protected]

those are some hogs!

it still frustrates me that I can't even find a smallmouth in Simcoe...Those are some nice fish!

We must fish the same spots LOL!!

I've stumbled across a few beauts over SEVERAL years but hold my head in shame when regular guys come off the water with 30-50 fish days and handfuls of nickles.

I don't even go there anymore because when I have to drive 3 hrs each way, I want higher odds of catching. If I was closer, I'd hammer it until I figured it out!

those are some hogs!

it still frustrates me that I can't even find a smallmouth in Simcoe...Those are some nice fish!

As mentioned in a earlier thread, they were deeper mostly/ possibly near the spots you frequent. We didn't catch huge ones but not uncommon to get 4-5lbers. I've had a invitation for years to find the big ones,still waiting BOB.lol.

Yeah, I had a member here offer to take me out, but we closed the cottage and I wont be back on Simcoe until the spring (unless we get a cold winter, then ice fishing for sure). Can't wait for the spring though, get some big pike hopefully!

This is my first year fishing it and really only got out there 4-5 times. I was fishing blind though and basically fished where I saw others fishing. I kept a good distance though as to not upset anyone.