North Perth Dam Removal Petition

spinnerbaitking

These 2 write ups were forwarded to me from the Organizer of the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup presented by Loblaw Companies Limited on the Teeswater River

Please consider using your voice to speak for the long term health of the Maitland River !

I am writing to everyone who I have in my contact list from North Perth, or who may have previously shown an interest in this topic.

Many of you may know that the Middle Maitland Rejuvenation Committee approached Council with a proposal to work with us towards following the Master Greenway Plan, which Council approved last fall. This spring, in a disturbing reversal Council made the decision to maintain the dam and the pond!

Today I am requesting your aid in trying to convince North Perth Municipal Council to change their minds and proceed with the previously accepted Master Greenway Plan, which involves the removal of the dam in the Memorial Park. The link below will take you to an online petition started local residents Richard and Abigail Kesso, there has also been two hardcopy petitions being circulated.

Please review and sign the petition if you share the same feelings. I would appreciate it if you would share this link with other residents of North Perth.

Chair

Middle Maitland Rejuvenation Committee

Folks,

I am forwarding this to you for your consideration and prompt action! It is simply time for our voices to be heard as citizens concerns about the stewardship of our natural resources.

Doug's note and this community's petition needs your attention and voice. As explained below the North Perth Council has an approved "Master Greenway Plan" and has community support to implement the dam removal BUT has reneged on their previous decision to remove the dam simply because of local politics and some "old thinking" regarding dams on river systems (expressed by a few adjacent but influential landowners).

Ecologically and with most community members knowing and understanding that the remnant structure (only a small weir or barrier remains) needs to be totally removed to ensure that fish and aquatic life can access and use the Listowel Park area (as a flowing river rather than a stagnant pond) on this watercourse.

Normally, I do not get involved with such circulations of petitions as they often are based upon emotional rational. In this case the rationale for removal is sound and based upon known facts and will represent the least cost and greatest benefits for this river and park area (and future residents of Listowel and the Maitland watershed). The Middle Maitland Rejuvenation Committee and local community, have been working with the local municipal leaders for years to achieve a workable solution however, the reversal of the previous council's decision represents a big step backwards in terms of citizen's wishes and creating a sustainable and healthy river system. The Master Plan will allow for the restoration of a healthy river through town and this will also result in a different looking park area, but one that will be environmentally and economically sustainable into the future. Natural environments are beautiful.

Therefore, I encourage you to consider expressing your voice and adding it to this petition. Kindly circulate to others you know might wish to have their voice's heard as well.

In wise stewardship, of our natural resources.

Stewardship Coordinator

Perth Stewardship Network

https://www.change.o...-rehabilitation Gonefishing.gif