Lower Buckhorn..Chemong ?

Rodwrap

SCENARIO...June 13-20, 10 guys...2- 14' boats & a 19' I/O..

We'd like to try Lower Buckhorn, but I'm a little wary of obstacles with an I/O. Is there anyplace to get a detailed map showing structure ? Or should I just stay out of there with the bigger boat?

We still have the option to go thru the locks I guess ( stay in Chemong), but,I'd like to maybe stay at Three Castles??

We've always gone to Chemong in the years past.

How's the crappie & pickeral forecast ?

It seems to have dropped off some in the last 2 years in Chemong...Pickeral,too.( maybe we've been a couple weeks too late) ,but this year,spring is late.

Thanx for any advice...need to make reservations SOON !

You can always try the charts put out by Fisheries and Oceans Canada. You need Map 2023.

I would be very careful with the I/O when venturing off the channel. The 14'ers will be fine. As far as a fish report goes - you may be a couple of weeks late, as you suggest, but Walleye routinely come up to the dam at Bridgenorth in the evenings to feed, just not as in many numbers as earlier in the season.

Three Castles is a good place. Nothing fancy, but has all amenities and a nice launch. You can fish righ out front in the fast flowing water for walleye, and closer to the dam as I mentioned above, for the same. Right off to the left on the resort property is a "waterfall" type thing that flows from Upper Buckhorn down around the dam. It creates a nice wash and current. I fished off shore when a friend stayed there and pulled in some nice slabs off some larger rocks directly in front of the falls, where current was created. They were holed-up behind the rocks in the shadow of the current. I got snagged lots, but also pulled in a couple 12's and 13's from behind there, bite was best early in the a.m.

Crappies are either on or off. Hopefully they will be on when you are there. If you find something that works, stick with it. I always had the best luck with small tubes in pumkinseed.

Good luck.

but Walleye routinely come up to the dam at Bridgenorth in the evenings to feed, just not as in many numbers as earlier in the season.

Are you refering to the causeway in Bridgenorth or the dam in Buckhorn. I fish Chemong nearly every weekend all summer and have never seen a dam in Bridgenorth.

Don

I would recommend going to the Peterborough and Kawartha Touriam Association on George St. in Peterborough. They carry very detailed, laminated, bathymetry maps. A little pricey, but worth the $$$. Upper Buckhorn should not be all that bad with the larger vessel, but water levels are a little lower right now. Call the Trent-Severn Waterway and check the most up to date levels if you are concerned.

Just follow the advice of everyone posting about staying in the marked channel. There are a bunch of sunken

islands and shoals outside of the channel markers so be cautious.. That time of the year is good Musky fishing

if you don't mind those toothy critters.Buckhorn is full of nice musky too!! I'm also up there with the family

from the 16th-23rd of June so look for my 17.5 foot Crestliner FishHawk. Make sure to get your map of the lake. See you on the water and Good Luck!!!