Fishing in Kitchener area?

wuchikubo

Hi everyone,

I'm down in Kitchener area later today and tomorrow and am thinking of bringing my rod to wet the line a bit. Any restrictions to fishing in the kitchener area right now and where might I be able to wet a line from shore?

Please PM me.

Stanley

everything is in season .. I might go to a spot later if i,m not caught up in other things .

Theres a little parking lot at the end of Otterbein Rd , its on the Grand River Trail . Theres easy access for shore fishing , but the better spots are a little down the trail .. both ways . Haven,t been there in a bit , so i,m not sure how grown in it is to get to the river further down . Since I haven,t been there in a while I also do not know if the good spots are infested with giant hog weed or not ( I don,t like getting close to that stuff ) . Some areas have quite a few growing .

Hog weed .. real big plant , thick stock .. like your wrist , right now kinda brownish looking , has a dill weed look to its shape . I,m not sure if they are poisonous after they flower or not ... but I,m not testing it on myself . Its photo sensitive ( reacts with sunlight ) , so its not a problem if you get it on you in the night time and wash it off .

OH .. if I make it down ( wouldn,t be till after 5 ) ... I,ll be wearin a black OZZY baseball hat

Edited by largemouth trout

Thanks LMT and FGP,

I was staying closer to Cambridge, so I tried a few spots on the Grand between where I was staying and up to Kitchener. Water was super low and fairly stained (not sure if that was normal for the area). First spot was at a conservation park area off fountain st south near Blair Rd, too shallow not even a follow or nip for the short 30 mins I was there (Tues evening). I was casting surface lures for this trip.

Next morning out at 6am and next area was the top of the dam near the Cambridge Fish In park, saw carp but had no hits. Tried 3 spots in the park.

Last area I could try was in Kitchener off Bloomingdale N. Shallow water and many water fowl, no luck.

I had a meeting in the morning at 8am so I had to pack it in and get back to the meeting site.

Perhaps next time I'm there I have more luck.

Thanks,

Stanley

Sorry to hear that you didn,t catch anything .. I know the feeling . The water has been crazy low this year for too long .

I have mentioned in other posts about the fish not being in the areas where I normally catch them . Lots of chubs and baby smallmouth , but I,m not having much luck finding the big ones .

On the positive side though .. I did go fishing that afternoon/evening and found a new spot that seems pretty promising .

The fish were all small , but I caught between 10-12 smalls between 5-7 inches long and one rock bass and only 1 chub this time . I know theres some big smalls in there ... just a matter of time . Big improvement over the 3-4 inch bass i was catching the other day .

The fish were very active in the hour before the sun went down .Using ultralight gear , I started out using my own lures ( these are my bottom of the barrel leftovers ... lost most of the good ones snagged on submerged branches ) . I only caught 1 smallie on my lure . Changed up to a #2 mepps . Orange aglia with a yellow and orange tail I tied myself . Worked good up untill about 3/4 hour before the sun went down , I caught 5 or 6 on that . Then i changed to a #0 silver mepps aglia ( undressed ) and did not catch any fish on that .

I then changed to a #0 silver mepps aglia , same as the other one , but , with a bright green dressed tail , that I tied myself , caught the rock bass , the chub and a couple smalls on that .

When it was dark , I tried a #3 black fury with yellow dots and a gold hook ( undressed ) and caught 3 small bass on that , and that was it . Had to get out while I could still somewhat tell where the path was .

Using worms or snails would probably get a bigger fish but I like using my own lures . I only switched to the spinners because like i said .. the lures i have left are the ones that don,t work too good .