Lady Evelyn trip(NOT!!!)

ctered

Well, last saturday I headed north with the intention of fishing Lady Evelyn for 4 days. Went to a friends cottage in Quebec not far from New Liskeard for sat night. We got up sunday morning and loaded his pontoon on the trailer. One tire looked a little low so he said he would fill it up when we stopped for gas about 10km away. No air at the station, so he said he will fill it in New Liskeard. Half a km from Canadian Tire and doesn't the tire blow. Stop unhook trailer and get another from Canadian Tire, put on trailer and off we go again. Get to Mowat's landing and unload pontoon and load all gear up. Head over to the dam and walk up to get the guy with the trailer and he says he can not tow pontoon boats. My friend says he called and talked to a woman and she said they could no problem and that the trailer would take a 22ft pontoon. Well what to do now? Back over to the launch and ask at Mowat's if there is anywhere on the river to camp. They say there is an island about 14km up river and there would be nobody there. Drive all the way up there only to find someone on the island. Find a family on another pontoon and ask them if they know of somewhere to camp. They mention an old camp not too far away. We find the spot and it turns out not too bad. A little bit of work and we have home set up.

Fishing wasn't the greatest. Three nights in a row for about 15-20 minutes the walleye would bite but that's it. We did manage to have fish for dinner 2 nights. We managed a total of 13 walleye(13-16 inches), 5 smallmouth(1lb or less) and 5 pike about 20-24 inches.

Thursday morning we load up and head back to the launch. We get the truck and go to retrieve the pontoon and BANG goes the other tire. Off to Canadian Tire to get another tire. Finally get the pontoon loaded and back to his cottage.

Not the trip that we had planned but we managed to have a good time and explored some water none of us have ever been on. I am sure next year will be different now that we know to bring boats instead of the pontoon. If they had said in the first place that they could not bring the pontoon over the dam we would have brought our boats instead.

Mark

Man, that's some bad luck.. Two tires blown in one trip, that's never fun. Back in July I blew out two tires on my van when leaving Lake Temagami. Sucked pretty hard.

I have fished the river a lot, but have yet to pull out a walleye; always just pike and bass. But I also fish it further south, and always from shore. Seems you did not too bad up there.

Sometimes inspection and planning are required when taking a long trip. Paul always inspects the tires before we leave and all other aspects of safety first.

Otherwise sounds like a great trip and lots of fish were caught and even some fish fryes :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Joey

It was not really a long trip for the pontoon. It is only about a 15-20 min drive from New Liskeard. My friend stores the pontoon in New Liskeard every winter. We should have taken the time at his cottage to fill the tires and maybe they would have lasted. The tires probably have less than 2000km on them. You soon realize how much sun damage can occur to tires when they just sit there all summer and don't move.