Rock Lake Algonquin Park

n.clarke00

Hey everyone.. I am going camping with the family at Algonquin Park Rock Lake campground Aug 13-17. Me and my son are going to spend a few days out in a canoe doing some fishing at Rock Lake, and possibly Coon Lake. Im just looking for a little advise or insight about fishing in the area, since i have never been there. I am kind of a fishing newb, only been at it for about two years and we are not too particularly picky as to what we catch.. Anybody willing to give me and my son some tips about what kind of fish to expect here. any fishing tips or hints would also be helpful aswell! Thanks all!

It's been a long time since I've been to Rock Lake or Coon Lake but both used to hold some decent Smallies. We did well off of points and in bays to the South of the lake. I remember a Smallie pulling our canoe a little bit as I fought to get it landed. I was using dew worms at the time. Considering you are going in mid August, I would go to tubes and Senkos once you've found some decent water!

Paul

Fishing was tough for me on that lake. Biggest fish was just over a pound. Couldnt figure things out at all, as no fish were where i thought they would be (weeds, rockpiles, logs,) so i went snorkeling and found the fish just cruisin' with no cover on sandy bottom. So go for a swim and see what ya find!

Lol at Shasta. I have hit Rock lake for bass and have caught them. Look for shoals and bays near the shoreline. The best time to catch bass would be in the evening. For your son, I'd recommend just a bobber and a hook with a piece of worm on it. Just wait for the bobber to bounce around and yank!

Beautiful lake for swimming. Have fun. I'll soon be there myself.