Lake Timiskaming Help?

I have a work trip to the New Liskeard area planned for July 29 to August 3. The reason I accepted the trip is for the potential fishing opportunities!!

I've never been to the area and was hoping for a little help!

My first stop will be at the local fishing store. I hope to pick up some of the local "hot" lures and get some info. All I could find on Google was John's Tackle Box. Are there any other in the area?

I'll be working long days but hope to get out for some evening shore fishing. Can anyone recommend any locations? I hate asking for shore fishing spots but even some general locations or starting points would be greatly appreciated. I plan to drive along the shoreline until I find a spot to stand and cast!

Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations in New Liskeard?

Thanks for your help! Report to follow … hopefully!

Shore fishing in Lake Temiskaming can be done in various places. The easiest access is at the piers right behind John's Tackle Box, or in Haileybury. I don't fish the lake much, it's so big and boring to look at. And worst of all - no trout. Also, they estimate between 10 and 20 thousand kilograms of arsenic are carried in via Farr Creek every year (based on rate of flow and water samples.. thanks to the old mine tailing contaminants from Cobalt's mining days).

I have fished from shore a few times this year and last, but never caught anything. I did see one guy catch a small pike. But that's about it. I really don't spend my time there, but if I did, I'd likely be using what the other guys are using - pickerel rigs (of which I own none) and shiners. I was casting lures and had not even a sniff. I got a jig caught and had to cut the line. It's very rocky around the piers and shoreline, so be warned. A friend of mine swears by the Blue Fox #3 spinner in silver, and claims he catches all kinds of fish off the piers there, but I tried that too with no luck.

As for tackle shops, you've got John's, which is decent for some things. But WalMart and Canadian Tire seem to carry more stuff. I often check John's first, but it's rare to find, for example, a Mepps #3 dressed or Blue Fox #3 or Little Cleo, there.

Restaurant recommendations really depends on what kind of food you like.. Roosters does a decent salmon. Gilli's is decent. Steak Villa's trout was pretty good the one time I had it, though my friend found a big house fly in her salad... If Marco's is open, the poutine is good there. If not, you could try King of Fries in Haileybury. R U Hungries in Haileybury is another decent shop.

Edited by Dana

• 2 weeks later...

If I was visiting New Liskeard, Lac Temiscaming would be the last place I'd be going to wet a line. Lots of remote shore fishing opportunities around latchford.

Except we're not allowed to fish off the old Latchford Bridge any more.

Remember the throngs of people who used to fish off the "Latchford Bridge" years ago when people were allowed to make up their own minds what was safe and what wasn't.

Never heard of a single accident or drowning from anyone falling off the bridge in 50 years.

Shore fishing in Lake Temiskaming can be done in various places. The easiest access is at the piers right behind John's Tackle Box, or in Haileybury. I don't fish the lake much, it's so big and boring to look at. And worst of all - no trout. Also, they estimate between 10 and 20 thousand kilograms of arsenic are carried in via Farr Creek every year (based on rate of flow and water samples.. thanks to the old mine tailing contaminants from Cobalt's mining days).

I have fished from shore a few times this year and last, but never caught anything. I did see one guy catch a small pike. But that's about it. I really don't spend my time there, but if I did, I'd likely be using what the other guys are using - pickerel rigs (of which I own none) and shiners. I was casting lures and had not even a sniff. I got a jig caught and had to cut the line. It's very rocky around the piers and shoreline, so be warned. A friend of mine swears by the Blue Fox #3 spinner in silver, and claims he catches all kinds of fish off the piers there, but I tried that too with no luck.

As for tackle shops, you've got John's, which is decent for some things. But WalMart and Canadian Tire seem to carry more stuff. I often check John's first, but it's rare to find, for example, a Mepps #3 dressed or Blue Fox #3 or Little Cleo, there.

Restaurant recommendations really depends on what kind of food you like.. Roosters does a decent salmon. Gilli's is decent. Steak Villa's trout was pretty good the one time I had it, though my friend found a big house fly in her salad... If Marco's is open, the poutine is good there. If not, you could try King of Fries in Haileybury. R U Hungries in Haileybury is another decent shop.

John's Tackle Box has tons of stuff for anglers & hunters.

Live bait (minnows and worms) & all the rods, reels, lines and lures I ever needed.

For the hunters John's has a wide selection of rifles, shotguns, archery equipment accessories and ammo.

Was in there in June and bought some cartridges for my deer rifle that I couldn't get in the GTA where I live.

I was amazed at the selection John's Tackle Box had for a little lakeside store 150 miles up in the sticks.