Algonquin Park

GreenCanada

So I've been reviewing some packing lists that people have put together for Algonquin, which are pretty amazing. I really like that aspect of our community.

I'm heading up there in about two weeks for about 4 days with my girlfriend (finally convinced her to come out). I'm looking for some brookies ideally or lakers so I was wondering if anyone is willing to share some lakes with relatively short portages. In the off chance that someone might want to give me some ideas, PM me, I know we'd both really appreciate it. I have a few lakes in mind that I frequent in the Spring, but they are a bit far of a portage (3-5km) to bring a fibreglass canoe (lol). I'm going to be reviewing some topo maps, but if you can't provide lakes, does anyone know if there is a website that provides portage lengths or do I need to look up individual lakes?

What I'm really looking for though is information on biting bugs! I haven't typically gone up to AP in July, mostly Spring and Fall so I'm not sure what to expect bug wise. Anyone have an idea of what I can expect?

Cheers!

Just got back from that area and I can tell you that the blackflies are done , the mosquitos were surprisingly not bad compared to previous years but the horse/deer flies were bad !

Grab one of those thermacell's , they work and if you have the mrs. with ya it will be the best 30 bucks you spend on the trip !