Hastings, ultimate fishing?

16 Footer

I read an article in last Saturday's Star about Hasting's (east of Rice Lake) claim to Canada's ultimate fishing town. The locals say there are more fish per acre in Hastings than anywhere else in Ontario. The bridge into town is the only road crossing in the province where fishing is allowed off the bridge. Has anyone fished there? Is their claim true or are they stretching the facts to get more tourist business?

My parents used to have a cottage in that area. Fished it almost weekly. The fishing WAS wonderful. Its still good at times but it has really gone down hill for the last 10yrs. Invasive species like the gobies, zebra mussels and over fishing really killed that place. Sadly Hastings is not alone. Its like that for alot of other places in Ontario.

I've been there a few times. It's more of a family friendly environment. But bernie66 is right. It's gone downhill in the past decade with gobies and Zebs and overfishing (IIRC wasn't there a few cases of tipping a few years back)

It's probably an advertising promo to get people out there again. They probably even mentioned how to "exactly" get there.

I walleye fish there at night when I have company up to the trailer that wants to night fish..Never been skunked..Also that Pioneer gas station is always 10 cents cheaper a litre then it here in town..So I always fill up there on my way back to Brantford..

I was up there this weekend for a guys fishing weekend, we fished the trent river side of hastings. Fishing was better than I experienced in Rice lake over the last few years cruising the shoreline casting at docks was most productive lot's of 2 lb smallies and 4-6 lbs pike. No monsters but it was good fishing all three days, and not nearly as crowded as I thought it would be