BEWARE of the Armyworms

Billy Bob

We are currently on the look out here in Chatham-Kent. Farmers are aloud up to 4 worms per/ square ft I believe before spraying is required. At the moment, they are walking fields 2-3 times a week checking for army worms.

Two seasons ago, right around this time, we were hit with a HUGE army worm infestation. I have a couple friends that operate big Self propelled sprayers and were running 24 hours a day/7 days a week trying to stay ahead of the worms. They are called army worms because they work just like an army advancing on an enemy. Once they have cleared out one field, they move on to the next in FLOCKS.

I was told a story once of an army worm outbreak out in the prairies. When they were moving from field to field across the road, cars were getting in accidents due to the slippery conditions. ( worms squished all over the road. )

Hopefully this will not effect your fields up north......just listen to the video...or read the article

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article892718.ece

We had them in our wheat way near Stratford a few years ago. I didn't need to spray, but a few fellows in the area did spray. Being a little further north, we usually get a heads up if they are getting close. Glad we don't have to worry about them every year!