Fishing before the storm

Steelcat

I arrived at the fishing spot at around 130 this afternoon, the place wasn't too crowded. Since the storm front was approaching, I knew that the fishing will be slow. 30 minutes after I arrived, I was able to catch a 10 inches Rockbass, it was one of the biggest Rockbass I've ever caught. From time to time, small Sunfish were bitting on my tube. 30 minutes passed again, and suddenly my float sank, I set the hook and it was heavy, it fight like a bass. As I landed it, it was a 11 inches Rockbass. This time it's the biggest I've caught ever. Another angler who was watching behind me also surprise to see the size of it. He said he has never seen one this big before in the area. Not much action for other anglers, they were able to catch odd couple of baby Crappies, baby Bass, baby Sunfish.

After a total of two hours of fishing, I called it a day as the storm was getting close. 2 minutes after I was in the car, the rain started~!

Here's 10 inches Rockbass

p4231248aly6.jpg

Here's 11 inches Rockbass

p4231249ati5.jpg

Hey, those are nice Rockies. Hit like a ton of bricks, then roll over and play dead! I have frequently caught them up to 12 inches with big, fat bellies. The bigger ones are good eating too. I was curious to see your comment about expectations of the bite being slow due to the onset of the storm. Some of my best outings have been in the hours prior to a frontal system blowing through. One example, two years ago on the Bass opener fishing Lake Seymour. Around 9am, we had a frontal system setting in on us (we could see it's approach on the horizon), and up to that point we had landed 5 or 6 nice fish. But suddenly, all hell broke loose and for the hour and a half leading up to the first drops of rain, the bass went nuts, hitting everything we threw at them. Several double headers, fish lost, even a triple of 2 to 3 pounders. We were laughin' our heads off, and whoopin' it up because we'd never seen action like that. As soon as the rain started, the frenzy was done. We landed 16 more largies up to 4 lbs. and a bonus smallie around 4 1/2. One of those outings to remember.....keep up the good fishing!

Hey steelcat,

I guess I was out fishing the same time as you were. But I started at 7:30am and it was slow. I saw the storm clouds coming.

I thought ok, lets see what heaven does. I stood my ground as the wind picked up. The carp started to turn on. I had 3 solid hits and I landed all three. Then the winds get stronger. I look up in the sky and I see that the clouds were directly over me to the left of me under my head. On the other side to my right above my head it was clear and sunny. :whistling: I though hmmmmm thats interesting. I'm in the middle between the sotrm clouds and the sunny clear sky wonder what would happen? Suddenly drops of rain started coming down over me and it was a clear sky. I said "ooops" I packed my gear and ran. :lol:

Weedman, I agreed with you saying good fishing before the storm. But my experience told me, it's only good when there's structure(a small canal doesn't have much structure so they all move out to the lake). Two years ago I was fishing in Orillia during thunderstorm watch, it was raining like crazy and windy. From time to time, there were period of calm (no rain or wind), that's when the Pike striked. Cast after cast Pike were hitting like crazy. Last year I caught my 9lbs Walleye from Rice Lake during a storm. Still both location have structure/weedbeds. Btw, where did you catch those 12inches Rock Bass?

dsn, that's some funny experience with sun on one side, and thick rain cloud on the other. But nothing was crazier than watching the dark wall of rain coming towards you while the sun is shining behind you.