Help me find a Scanoe

I am wondering on your thoughts and experiences with scanoe's and where I can find one within 1hr of toronto (I am from Brantford)

I am looking for somthing to put my trolling motor on and be able to bring this with me as a car topper for summer fishing and camping outings.

I have never owned a canoe so I really dont know what I am looking for, where to shop ect.

Any experiences or advise would be appreciated.

Thx

Chris

It depends on what you are doing Rivers, Lakes, slow water, fast water will you be portaging.

lakes you want it long with a good keel able to track a line better. Rivers no Keel very agiale. l have done lots of canoe trips and am partial to Scott canoe's they take a beat but a bit heavy ln the long walks lol. peace.

I have had a Coleman Scanoe for many years and thoroughly enjoyed it....within its limits. It tracks well on flat water, and can handle a light current, and can handle the electric just fine.

The downside is that it is heavy for a portage and cannot do whitewater in a "sane" manner.

There are others but the original scanoe is a lot of bang for the buck in my opinion.

outdoorguy61

I have a great guy for canoes he is in tweed and he charges about 450 a canoe nice ones to he is the manfaucturer. if intrested I had a picture in a previous post. lemmeknow I will hook you with his number

I would appreciate his number.

I dont plan on using it for major portages or white water.

Mainly river and small lake fishing.

If it's for fishing...a wider canoe is more stable however, not as easy to paddle. If you want to use a small outboard gas engine, a square ended canoe is recommended. If you want to use a small electric motor, you can use a motor support that holds the motor off to one side.

If you want to do some sight seeing and paddling, a narrow canoe is better.

A canoe for 2 people should be at least 14 feet long. If there is always going to be 2 people in the canoe, then a 16 foot canoe is recommended.

Since I do a lot of portaging, fishing alone....I use a 14 foot Sportspal. Ok, they are a bit slower when paddled but they are very stable and very light.....but more fragile. However, I'm 60 years old and I can carry my canoe and all of my gear at once when I have to walk to a lake.

Springbok used to make a pretty good aluminum canoe that has thicker aluminum than the Sportspal. Aluminum is lighter than fiberglass. There are some very light canoes made of kevlar and even higher tech products that are very robuste but they are very expensive and not very wide.

There are even folding canoes for those who do not have much storage space.

You can buy outrigger kits for canoes if you want something real stable.

In any event, there is no such thing as the perfect canoe that does everything perfectly.

The "Scanoe" is a great canoe. The low profile ends make it a bit easier to handle in the wind. I pretty sure that it's made by Coleman. It's a tough canoe, but quite heavy. Great 2 man canoe.

Edited by Dabluz