Invasive species cartoon!!

TJQ

Thanks so much for the post and the thoughtful comments T.J. and Roy! This is a pretty big deal for me especially since invasive species awareness programs have become a huge issue these days. I'm excited to be participating in the Ontario Invasive Plant Council's campaign and I hope that the toons help to remind all of us who enjoy the outdoors to "Look Before You Leave"! :)

Great to see they`re starting to bring attention to earthworms. Most people don`t realize that they are an invasive species and not native to Ontario or Quebec. The Pleistocene glaciation eliminated worm fauna from the soils of Ontario and Quebec. They`ve been introduced by European settlers since the 1500s. They get spread around because they are a popular bait and now more so with being promoted as composters. They are really damaging our forest ecosystems, threatening many forest plants including trilliums. It is a big problem especially in Southern Ontario. You just don`t see the undergrowth of forest plants and new trees anymore. This is due to the earthworms mixing the soil and eliminating that top mulch of leaves and such that those plants needed to germinate in. Earthworms are not addressed in any of the fishing regulations, etc.

Great to see they`re starting to bring attention to earthworms. Most people don`t realize that they are an invasive species and not native to Ontario or Quebec.

Hi, and thanks for mentioning the fact that earthworms are not native here! I didn't realize this myself until I started working with the Ontario Invasive Plant Species on this campaign, and I really hope word gets out so more people become aware not to release leftover bait into the wild!