1988 Bass Tracker Help

lovetofish

Hey guys. I have removed the oil injection from my 1991 Merc 75hp and am mixing my gas. My problem is i always get that constant beep from my quicksilver throttle. I have taken it apart to change the tilt switch. The little "speaker" inside, is it ok to remove it? Not sure if it has anything to do with the circuit it is on.? Thanks in advance for any help!

lovetofish

On the bottom of the oil tank are a pair of wires that go to the oil level sender just unplug them and the alarm should stop. Had my sensor go bad in the middle of the lake once and did this.

If you remove the beeper you will not only kill the oil level warning but the over heat warning as well.

I ended up disconnecting the beeper when my temp sensor/wiring harness started acting up.

Not sure where the issue is but my oil level sensor went after 4 or 5 years and then at the 15 year mark my alarm started sounding intermittantly. The issue I believe is wiring related ie. a short or something.

I just disconnected the alarm as I didn't want to replace the controls (this is where I think the issue is).

I will be replacing the controls when I repower the boat and all should be well. ;)

Thanks drifter! I think i might try to look into the wiring issue. Would still like to know if the engine is overheating or not.

Check the water intakes on the lower unit for something blocking them and when it's warm and been running a while check the telltale (pee hole) with your hand. It should be warm and not scalding. ;)

I still would like the beeping sound to start when the engine overheats, so i would have to figure out whats wrong with temperature circuit.

Like I said with mine it's a wiring issue near the controls.

Wiggling the harness around made it stop for a while.

If this works for you the easiest fix is to replace the controls.

It could be a bad temp sensor. Follow the temp sensor wire to find the sensor/connector. The temp sensor wire should be a black cable that runs along the starboard side of the motor near the bottom. It runs from the area below the starter, underneath the bottom coil pack and up the back of the motor into a block held on with 2 bolts. It is on the starboard side on the head mid way up the block.

It should be plugged into the harness in the area below the starter.

It looks like the over tem sensor wire is black and connects to a terminal block.

If you disconnect this wire from the terminal block and the alarm no longer sounds when running the motor replace the sensor. If it still sounds it's a short in the wiring harness.

Not exactly sure which one is the temp sensor, so i took a pic. Is it the black with yellow stripe wire?

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/lovetofish123/SC20120419-111219.png

thanks,

LTF

Follow the one in the plastic sheath that goes of to the left near the bottom of that picture.

It should route under the bottom spark plug wire and up the back of the motor and into a block held on with 2 bolts 1/2 way up the head. If it does that is the one I believe.

Follow the one in the plastic sheath that goes of to the left near the bottom of that picture.

It should route under the bottom spark plug wire and up the back of the motor and into a block held on with 2 bolts 1/2 way up the head. If it does that is the one I believe.

Is this it?

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/lovetofish123/2012-04-20185624.jpg

Thanks,

LTF

Yep!!!!

That's it. :good:

The 2 screws hold the sensor in place.

Where the black wire from the temp sensor connects to the terminal block there should be a tan wire (this comes from the low oil sensor assy. and a blue/tan wire this goes to the controls.

If you disconnect the black wire and the alarm stops then the switch is bad. If it still goes off disconnect the blue/tan wire (this will eliminate anything to do with the low oil circuit. If it still goes off there is a short in the control wiring.

Edited by DRIFTER_016