Perch

dannyboy

I offered to cook supper tonight at the inlaws; deep fry perch they got from Sobeys. The fillets have the skin on, I have always cooked them without skin because that is the way I fillet them.

Do I need to skin them or can I cook them with the skin on and is the skin usually eaten?

thanks,

Dan

Leave the skin on and fry or deep fry with your favorite batter. Leaving the skin on causes the fillet to curl, giving it a different look. Most restaurants leave the skin on. You won't notice the skin when cooked. The only reason we take the skin off is because scaling. Wish I had a scaler like they have at the processing plant. In Dover and other places, they use old potato pealing machines.

Leave the skin on and fry or deep fry with your favorite batter. Leaving the skin on causes the fillet to curl, giving it a different look. Most restaurants leave the skin on. You won't notice the skin when cooked. The only reason we take the skin off is because scaling. Wish I had a scaler like they have at the processing plant. In Dover and other places, they use old potato pealing machines.

LeBarons sells a device called Big Norm's magic fish scaler on page 129 of their catalogue... If you like perch with the skin on it would be the best 6 bucks you ever spend. You can do a perch and scale it bald in about 20 seconds.

LeBarons sells a device called Big Norm's magic fish scaler on page 129 of their catalogue... If you like perch with the skin on it would be the best 6 bucks you ever spend. You can do a perch and scale it bald in about 20 seconds.

Thanks Canuck, I'll have to see if Bill's bait can get me one of those. The only thing is when you have to do about 50 Perch, the mess I mite have scales all over the kitchen, wife might not be too happy :w00t:

Well I followed Fish Farmer's advice, skin on, dipped in flour, egg wash then crumbs - turned out fantastic - Thanks.

Dan

Glad you like it Dan.

I do that recipe when I do a small patch. I also use Italian bread crumbs instead of the cornflake, but the oil gets black after a few batches because of the cheese in the bread crumbs. But if it's for just a couple people it's OK.