Flies Everywhere

oates

Got out to one of my summer spots during our March Summer last week. It was weird, the grass was still low and yellow, no leaves on the trees so it looked like the dead of winter, water temp was higher than 10c, and it was 29 degrees (St. Mary's ON.). I didn't feel in the grove, almost felt wrong like ice should be floating down stream!

Anyway, I found a lot of activity on river, lots of minnows, huge catfish and pike in the shallows, hooked into a few things, seemed foul hooked and got off. Fish seemed a bit dazed still and now it is -6 tonight.

I was surrounded by flies or gnats, each strand of grass had like 50 of them resting on it, they were all over me (in March), I ate some, even cleaned some out of my eyes when I got back to the car, I never seen anything like that even in July....my question is, will the frigid temps that have returned kill off the early signs of flies and mosquitoes? I hope so, because if that is a sign of what's to come, it will be tough fishing without eating a steady diet of flies this summer!

Edited by oates