Canoe In Camping Trip Ideas?

Homer Is King

Hi,

I have been camping and fishing the Massasauga for 20 years and highly recommend it for family camping if your family does not mind using a thunderbox for a washroom! If you go to Pete's Place where you register you can go from there anywhere in Georgian Bay with zero portages. Most of the park is located in back bays that are relatively protected from high wind and high waves. There is a marina near by where you can get an extra supplies and is also an LCBO outlet for real emergencies!

Here is a great link to all campsites in the park including the back lakes:

Link to Campsites

Depot Lakes CA.

give Depot Lakes Conservation area a try, nice quite lakes took my son there for his 1st overnight canoe camping trip when he was 4, set up a base camp on 2nd Depot Lake and then you can do a quick portage to the other lakes as a day trip. It's only about 2 hours drive from Bowmanville

jjcanoe

Thanks for all the input! It is greatly appreciated!

I've picked up a couple of Kevin Callen's books. He has a bunch! His books describe a wide range of canoeing trips and they are very helpful in planning and researching a trip! Everything for 1-2 day weekend trips to 1-2 week trips. Great resource!

jjcanoe - Depot Lakes CA is one of the trips. Looks like a great area! It is definitely on my "to-do" list! Are motor boats allowed on Second Depot lake, where the interior campsites are?

I think I have narrowed it down to two trips.

1) Kawarth Highlands - Bottle Lake into Sucker Lake

Length - Approx 3 km one way

Portage - 1 @ 80m

2) Algonquin Park - Crotch or Farm Lake

Length - Approx 1-3 km one way depending on site

Portage - 0

I'd like to do the portage into Booth Lake. Still working on convincing the family!

The most important thing on my list is the fishing!! Anyone have any reviews on these lakes?? Which do you think would be better? I picture the Algonquin lakes to be heavily fished and the quantity and quality of fish to be poor. I don't have anything to base this on, just a feeling. The round trip to the Kawartha's is 6 hours shorter. That means a lot more time on the water!! This is a big plus!

There are motors allowed in 2nd Depot lake but it's not a busy lake at all, 3rd is even quieter

Booth, Crotch lake area has a lot of bass, pike and some walleye in the area, however my fishing reports for the area will be about 15 years old....