Small flies catch BIG fish!

mikeseb

Hey yall,

So I was out chrome huntin the other day (big surprise inno LOL) and in my first drifts I had gotten what I had thought was a snag on the bottom. After a solid tug of my line my hook was free from the bottom of the river and I had noticed that I wasnt snagged on the bottom, but my line had wraped around some fishing line that was snagged. While removing the snagged line from my line I saw there were two flies tied to the snagged line so I snipped the line and added them to my tackle box. I continued fishing for about an hour with not even a strike so i decided to give one of these flies a shot. 3 drifts later my float drops and my drag starts to scream! After a solid fight including 2 massive leaps into the air I had landed a 28 inch buck! I was shocked such a big fish would hit such a small fly. After moving down to a different spot and loosing that fly to the bottom of the river I decided to give the second fly a shot. It was about 2 thirds the size of the other one so I was curious to see if the fish would even notice it, and they did!! After working the spot with the fly i decided to let it drift right to the tail end of the pool and just as im about to reel in for another drift BOOM my float drops and my drag begins to sing. After another solid fight with the fish taking me a good 70 yards down stream I landed another 28 inch beast! After a quick pic he was back in the river. The rain started to pick up so I packed it in and called it a day. The next day I arrived at the river and was shocked that the water was even lower and clearer than yesterday, even with the rain, so i tied on the fly and started drifting. After a few drifts at one of my favorite spots my float drops and im into another big fish. After about 5 minutes just as Im about to drop into the river with my net and go for the landing, my leader breaks and the fish and fly are gone wallbash.gif. I think Im more frustrated to have lost the fly than the fish to be honest LOL. So the rest of the day was spent drifting roe and pinkies and I managed to get into and land a nice 24 inch buck on a roe bag. After all the success I had on these flies and now having lost them I really wish I had taken a picture of them so I could get some more of them same pattern, but its too late now. Im thinking of going down to my local fly shop and looking around to see if anything there resembles these nymphs I had found and I advise any beginner steelheader to pick up a variety of nymphs for there tacklebox.

Thanks for reading canadian.gif

Mike

IMG00168-20120221-1315.jpg

IMG00164-20120221-1033.jpg

excellent advise bill, I have seen Co's parked at the qew parking lot twice since the seasons closed and can only imagine theyve been there a few more times. I cant freakin wait till it opens though im sick of the crowds!! Yesterday I had a guy scam my spot on a pool when I went off into the bush for no less than 2 minutes to take a leak!!! What an asshat.gif

haha Thats exactly what I did bill! Before rereigging with shot hook and leader i casted out with just the float and intentionally crossed his line about a half dozen times until he moved to a different spot. The look on his face was priceless!