Simcoe Crappie?

hey guys after seeing a crappie report from cooks bay, i began to think. i have never tried crappies, and would love to try it out. im in toronto so cooks bay is close enough for me, what kinda setup do u guys run? like mini tubes, jigs, minnows? on a float maybe? any help would be great...

ultralight with small reel, equipped with 4 lb test. My setup includes a slip float... i use 1.5 inch tubes.

crappie are usually a hit and miss kind of fish. when they are on, they are on... it's common to catch hundreds at a time, but when there are none, it will seem like a horrible day haha... at least to me.

Hey Urban,

I've done the spring crappie run off shore at cooks bay in years past.

Like Frozen Fire said, ultra light set up w/ a slip float is your choice gear.

I had success on tiny white tubes. If you are going minnows, stay with the smallest minnows they got.

I'd be surprised if the slabs are in.

Vary your depth. I remember one spring we took them at less than a foot deep.

Good luck , I hope the bite is on.

RB

They are constant roamers so timing is every thing. Supposedly when ice moves out, the crappies move in for the false spawn for about 1 week. They leave until the water temps get up for spawning. Cold fronts push them back out into deeper water. They can be tight schoolers and you have to be patient with them. Frozen fire said the right set up, he's caught some nice slabs last year in the spring. Out of doors as a magazine out with a good article on catching spring crappies (as well as others) you should read it. Smallest lightest jigs are key for the tubes.

I prefer to use white and red tubes...however, my girlfriend uses pink exclusively and does very well herself on occasions. keep trying different colours, and also at different depths as well... you can catch them deep as well as right under the surface, as Row Boat mentioned. This is the advantage of using the slip bobber.

If you're gonna go try the canals at keswick...keep your cool, cause your line will get crossed for sure. crazy crowd. I really don't understand the bucketloads of perch and sunfish...:(