NF - Wattage limiter for ceiling fan

John Bacon

I recently installed a ceiling fan. It has remote control and lights. The light kit and remote control are options sold separately.

I am having problems with the light shutting off immediately. If I turn the light on the light comes on for about a 1/2 second and then turns off. It will not come back until I reset it by turning the power to the light on and off via the pull chain. (Since the hand held remote is an option the fan still has pull chains to control the functions)

I read that the fan has a limiter that automatically shuts the light off if total wattage exceeds 190. I suspect that this is the culprit to my problem. I am using the bulb supplied with the fan so I don't think that it is actually exceeding 190 watts.

I think the wattage limiter is faulty and is cutting power to the light. Does this sound correct? Are faulty limiters are common problem? Is there anything else that I can trouble shoot before I return it to the store?

A second possibillity is the remote control. Is it worth re-wiring the fan without remote control; or, can I be reasonably certain that it is the wattage limiter.

if you are using the pull chain as a reset it doesnt sound like the remote, has it done this since installing or did it work at first? and what type of bulbs? and how many? did you do all the proper grounding? some of the newer electronic controls require the ground! it does sound like the protection is kicking in see if you can just take the light kit off and just replace it? the other thing you can do is take the light kit off and use a volt meter or a potential tester to see if the power gets killed with no load on it, that may tell you as well if its the protection.

"It will not come back until I reset it by turning the power to the light on and off via the pull chain."

When you do this, does the light stay on, or shut off again after a 1/2 second?

Usually it turns off in 1/2 a second again. Sometimes I can get it to stay on for a few minutes; usually when the light hasn't been on for a while. But it usually just comes on for a fraction of a second.

if you are using the pull chain as a reset it doesnt sound like the remote, has it done this since installing or did it work at first? and what type of bulbs? and how many? did you do all the proper grounding? some of the newer electronic controls require the ground! it does sound like the protection is kicking in see if you can just take the light kit off and just replace it? the other thing you can do is take the light kit off and use a volt meter or a potential tester to see if the power gets killed with no load on it, that may tell you as well if its the protection.

It didn't give me a problem when I tested if after installing it. However it hasn't worked properly since the first day. It does sometimes work for a few minutes so it may have just been a co-incidence that it worked when I first installed it.

I grounded to the support bracket which is metal and it bolted to the electrical box. I will try grounding directly to the box or the incoming copper.

Actually, I think the limiter is in the fan itself; not the light kit. The light kit contains one halogen bulb that was supplied with the light. I think it is 100w.

Thanks for the tips; I will see if I can get it working tomorrow morning.

"Actually, I think the limiter is in the fan itself; not the light kit. The light kit contains one halogen bulb that was supplied with the light. I think it is 100w."

-

If the limiter is in series with the light, current drawn by the light will effect the limiter.

Are you also running the fan when the light kicks out? If the light is only 100 watts or less (which is almost certainly the case...you're not growing dope in there, are you?) and it alone caused a 190 watt limiter to trip, the limiter is faulty.

If you were tripping the breaker in your panel, you'd have a short...either phase to phase or phase to ground...that doesn't seem to be your problem.

It's a bit of a hassle I know, but the guy who suggested taking it down and exchanging it for a new one have a good idea. The other thing you might try is to disconnect the remote from the circuit and try it. If it works then you know that's your problem.

I'm an industrial guy...the fans I hook up are a little bigger than yours, but I'm happy to try and help. PM me if you're stuck and I'll give you my number. If you want to pay for a phone call to Sudbury I'll answer any questions I can.