London area panfish...??

FISHEYEZ

Hey everyone! hope the holiday season is going well!

I have recently moved back to London after being away for 10 years or so. I have been checking out a lot of my old spots...all changed drastically lol Anyone know of any panfish action in the area (perch,crappie)? I have been trying a few area ponds,lakes,etc, with no luck....am i missing something? thanks for any help!!

fish

Hey everyone! hope the holiday season is going well!

I have recently moved back to London after being away for 10 years or so. I have been checking out a lot of my old spots...all changed drastically lol Anyone know of any panfish action in the area (perch,crappie)? I have been trying a few area ponds,lakes,etc, with no luck....am i missing something? thanks for any help!!

fish

funny I just moved out of the london area, if you are looking for crappie and don't mind drivind half hour to 45 min, head towards exeter, morrison dam is hit and miss but it has given me a good amount of crappie and pike. shiners just off bottom play around the shoreline closest to the parking lot to start, in about 12 ft of water, when iced in front of the dame the icew is iffy depending on the year stay clear of that area until you see a local guy. There may be no one there but the far side there is a little point that sticks out about 20 feet off shore there is a not to bad spot in about 5 ft of water. Early morn is good but the evening bite is the best. You can catch fish all day but the other times is best for crappie. 37 keepers in 1 hour 20 is my best evening 2 guys. Park hill resovoir has a huge population of crappie, never fished it because the population is so high that the fish are small. So I have been told. Buddies catch a ton of them in the summer, I'd rather drive to simcoe and have high perch numbers like in the hundreds, with around 30 keepers (over 9 inches) per guy. Its worth it and redicoulas early season.

funny I just moved out of the london area, if you are looking for crappie and don't mind drivind half hour to 45 min, head towards exeter, morrison dam is hit and miss but it has given me a good amount of crappie and pike. shiners just off bottom play around the shoreline closest to the parking lot to start, in about 12 ft of water, when iced in front of the dame the icew is iffy depending on the year stay clear of that area until you see a local guy. There may be no one there but the far side there is a little point that sticks out about 20 feet off shore there is a not to bad spot in about 5 ft of water. Early morn is good but the evening bite is the best. You can catch fish all day but the other times is best for crappie. 37 keepers in 1 hour 20 is my best evening 2 guys. Park hill resovoir has a huge population of crappie, never fished it because the population is so high that the fish are small. So I have been told. Buddies catch a ton of them in the summer, I'd rather drive to simcoe and have high perch numbers like in the hundreds, with around 30 keepers (over 9 inches) per guy. Its worth it and redicoulas early season.

All the trolls say Thank You!!

When the ice freezes Long Point can be very good for perch.

During open water seasons some of the piers along Lake Erie can be good for perch at times & if you have access to a small boat not far off shore from these piers can be quite good. We've had very good results off of Port Bruce.

Here's some we caught off Port Bruce near the end of June.

020.jpg

Discolored due to being in a cooler with ice.

Empty beer cans for size reference only.

BTW: The Busch can is a tall-boy.

Cooks bay on Lake Simcoe can be good but I find the size smaller on the average than Erie.

30Dec09Gillford005.jpg

Edited by Woodsman

yea I deffenatly agree better size out of erie, and good numbers but it is quite a bit of hit and miss there. The think I like about erie williams bay is you can catch multiple species not uncommon to catch nice pike and bass you can have a multi species day. the biggest perch I havr caught is out of erie. But simcoe is redicoulas if you go out of gilford just walk straight out kinda towards keswick, go to the middle is 20 plus feet to start go deeper if ther not there. drop a 3 hook polimer knot rig with a bell weight 3/8 ounce gets you to the bottom quick enough. You can only fish one rod because by the time it hits botton you can't count to 3. There is usualy a pressure crack out there, in the center fish either side of it. give yourself 15 min if there is nothing move deeper, it starts slow but after 15 minute if your not one after another move. the most I have ever moved is three times to find the fish. lot of dinks but you can catch a feed of 9 plus inchers. usually you only need to drill 1 hole. good luck