Buying New Fishing Line

wvfisherman

I have been buying new line but I have questions about how long the sporting goods store has had the line in stock or even in the warehouse where the store buys the line. I have asked the clerks and they say it is new line or they do not know how long it has been in stock. Yes, it could be new line, never used, but what if it has been in stock for a year or two or back in the warehouse where the line could be subject to extreme heat, which would damage the line.

When you have a number of reels to replace the line it get expensive at the prices they ask for new fishing line. So, what do you do buy new line or use the line that you had last year and did not use? It would be great if they would date on the line spool when the line was made.

I keep my line in a drawer in the basement and this year I'll be using line I bought in 2001. I still have full confidence in it. I have a couple reels I used only a couple times last year and I'll be putting on new line again this year. Once the line has hit the water and been in the sun, I replace it in the spring no matter how good it looks. I have a habit of buying more than I need when it's on sale and feel it will keep for years if stored properly. Andy

I'm still using a 1000 yard spool of Fireline I bought 4 years ago.. good as new as far as I'm concerned... cheap monofiliment though... i would go with new.

Guest lundboy

I've got stuff that I have had for over 15 years!! Dupont-Stren 7/20 and 14/40. I have always kept all of my line in a BPS brown bag (obviously the bag was from a shopping trip to the US-they were a lot thicker then) hanging in the closet in the dark for years. I spooled some of the 7/20 up last year and used it extensively. Just as clear and supple as it ever was, no problems, no residue.

Other than that I have a few 1000yd spools of Trilene and Stren that are at least 5-6 years old that I have been spooling up fresh every season that is just fine.

If when you are spooling up line (mono) and you get a powdery residue on your fingers, it has degraded and started to decompose... get rid of it. If you just bought it and it's like that take it back.

I would order online through BPS or cabela's to get the best line. You know they sell allot and your line is not "out of date". I dont see myself replacing fireline for a few years at least. I mostly fish the St. Clair and Detroit rivers with 8 lb fireline. Since i moved to this hi tech line i never break off or think that my line may cause a problem. 100% confidence in your line is the key.

Go to the lining clinics at tackle retailers every year and get line for .01 - .05 cents a yard spooled. Can't go wrong with that price and the line is new. I am going to Fishing World next weekend for their sale and line spooling special for all my reels and that's a lot to get done.

I've got stuff that I have had for over 15 years!! Dupont-Stren 7/20 and 14/40. I have always kept all of my line in a BPS brown bag (obviously the bag was from a shopping trip to the US-they were a lot thicker then) hanging in the closet in the dark for years. I spooled some of the 7/20 up last year and used it extensively. Just as clear and supple as it ever was, no problems, no residue.

Other than that I have a few 1000yd spools of Trilene and Stren that are at least 5-6 years old that I have been spooling up fresh every season that is just fine.

If when you are spooling up line (mono) and you get a powdery residue on your fingers, it has degraded and started to decompose... get rid of it. If you just bought it and it's like that take it back.

Sound advice.