Huge Pre Spawn Bass on FLW?

Minnow

Just a something I was wondering about while watching the FLW tour today at lake Murray I believe not really sure, anyways these guys were catching close to 10 lb pre spawn females during the competition these were monsters guys had 30 lb stringers!!! I know the season there is probably open all year but was just wondering if a pre spawn bass that size will survive and spawn successfully after being caught and going through weigh in and being in the livewell?

Is it a all year open season because of the longer growing season for these fish or because there are just so many bass in the southern part of the US? I was also thinking it could be because of the huge economic factor, because bass is all they fish for! I dunno what do you guys think!

Love watching the FLW tour really wish they made stops in Canada that would be great to see some of the american pros up here!

Here is a pic of the some of the monsters!

BIGBASS.jpg

Guest skeeter99

there would be mortality for sure just like our tournaments up here

but u have to realize those lakes down there are just bass factories no real winter like up here, the bass is the top predator in most cases

but I know what u are saying catching spawning and pre-spawn fish just does not seem right

I know when fishing on the opener there are still lots of bass on the beds an the big females are not to far behind and they will bite anything you throw at them

Edited by skeeter99

I don't think the mortality would be so high. Mortality is an issue in tournaments up here because we are forced to fish for bass in waters approaching and exceeding 75*F. In water temperatures around 50-55*F (prespawn temps), the fish are hardier, require less oxygen, and have slowed metabolisms. If we can catch and release prespawn walleyes on Bay of Quinte without massive amounts of fish-kills, why can they not catch and release prespawn bass in the south to the same effect? The pros that fish tournies like FLW and BASS are, for the most part, very concerned with the health of the fish, taking into account livewell temps, O2 levels, and applying stress-reducing chemicals when required. Fish are also fought very quickly and brought to hand in a matter of seconds. Granted, a 9 or 10 pound bass may take a bit longer, but these guys are fishing with equipment that that can definitely handle it. Am I a fan of tournaments in general? Not really. But do I think prespawn bass-fishing tournies are harmful? Not at all.

Edited by BabyHerc