Mountsberg

Kayakmike

Went fishing at Mountsberg yesterday and what a difference from June's water level. I'm glad I decided to bring a pair of rubber boots as the new exposed shoreline and shallows were all mud!

This also made things interesting at the boat ramp for a lot of people.

The fish seemed to be quite active...jumping everywhere....but they weren't hitting as frequently as I would of thought. Or perhaps they just didn't like what I was throwing.

Landed two nice bass....and miss another two fish (bass or pike). I also saw several decent fish but they were very skiddish and seemed to swim away quickly.

Parking lot was near full with a lot of folks fishing by the dam. I seen other people with fish so the fish were obliging.

A beautiful day with hardly a breeze!!

nice report thumbsup_anim.gif what were you using to catch them? I was up there last weekend and the weeds were right up to the surface and the water level was down about 5 ftdunno.gif

I think the real question is what didn't I try to catch them with :) ...that list much shorter.

Mountsberg has skunked me on occasion in the past as well wallbash.gif, but I'm getting better....earlier in the year I did ok with spinnerbaits but with the heavier weeds, weedless plastics seem to be the way to go as far as I can tell. Haven't found the knock-out lure or plastic for this lake yet....but I remain hopeful and enjoy trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I go to mountsburg I use a silver Williams wabbler and me and my buddies make bets on who will catch the first pike. Usually get 1 in the first few casts

Thx Kman...I will have to give that a go.

I typically go after the bass more than the pike....but I am often surprised how few pike I catch in the meantime figuring they would be a little less fussy....but I will be sure to pack a silver bullet next time out :) .

Weather permitting...I'll be there this weekend :)

bass fishing eh I know a sweet place for bass fishing. This place is literally infested bass every catch but they are all small I need a canoe to get to the deeper water

A canoe...or perhaps even a fishing kayaking....be sure to take a look at those before settling on a canoe ;) .