Not good news

misfish

I too am sad to hear this but not surprised. The biggest tournaments in Canada now seem to be SK/AB with some sizeable payouts for walleye.

I noted that one gentleman posted about tying into a US organization. This is an interesting idea that could warrant further exploration perhaps using other tournaments in Ontario as qualifyers of some sort. As it stands, Canada remains a small, very tough place to develop a top tier tournament series.

There are some smaller series like Quinte, NEOBA and Renegade that have turned out a regional item that is well run for a smaller market. I hope this all somehow works out for the betterment of all anglers in some fashion.

outdoorguy61

David and Charles, question.

Watching the American tournys on WFN,they seem to have a grasp on how to excite the crowd and keep them into the wiegh in. I know here we wiegh in 40-60 boats so what they are doing down there would not be as easy up here.

For those that have not seen it,they will set up an arena with a stage that will have slots for the boats to be parked in all around the stage 10 in total. Each angler will bring one fish at a time. This goes on til the last fish. The exciting part is when one guy is only behind by say 4 ounces and it,s his turn to bring up that 5th fish and he dosent have it. To me thats excitment. Sure it may be a bit of a drawn out conclusion but I think something like that would be good for here.

Your thoughts or anyone elses on this?

Brian,

I think that a show like that could take place, for example in the parking lot of Bass Pro, but it will take a LOT of time, money, organization, partnerships and angler co-operation. After last year, I will never say never, because 3 years ago, if someone told me I'd be fishing on Lake Simcoe for a $100,000 first place prize and $300,000 in total, I woulda had a hernia laughing so hard at the person. Now it seems like it might not be something that will be an everyday occurrence, but could be something we can build towards and see again in the future if not exceed.

I personally prefer the "hot seat" idea that B.A.S.S. is employing. Basically the leader of the event sits at the front corner of the stage as anglers come up and try to "knock off" the current king of the hill until there is the last man or woman standing. It's kinda nice to see the thrill of victory and agony of defeat all at once.

I also agree with David. We Canadians don't give ourselves enough credit. We are a proud nation with the outdoors as a very big part of our heritage. We can build something "elite" or "premier" up here. It has to be done the right way with a solid foundation and a business plan that makes sense for all parties. It needs the right leadership. I think it can and will happen in my life time. I certainly hope it does. But even if it doesn't, it shouldn't be from lack of trying or belief in ourselves.

Charles