Bog Bass, shoreline style

daryl0815

Myself and a friend of mine decided to hit up the bog today to search for some bass and possibly a musky if one was around.

We headed out at about 11am and fished for a few hours spread over 4 spots with shore access, as my boat has a minor mechanical difficulties as of late (lower unit oil leaking out around the prop shaft wallbash.gif).

The first spot that we hit yielded the only fish of the day, a decent Largemouth of about 3 pounds, that came on a live target frog. I threw the frog over some reeds and across about 60 feet of slop into the edge of the open water, just as I was thinking "I wonder what I am gonna do if I get a bite" this guy hit. I managed to get him in somehow, dragging him through the weeds and pulling in about 5 pounds of slop with him. Time for a quick photo and release to catch him when he gains a few pounds.

BassAugust16.jpg

We pounded the water with everything from frog imitations to swim-baits to soft plastics to no avail, moving to a few different spots didn't seem to help a whole lot.

At the second spot, no fish to speak of, but my buddy had a bit of a surprise catch, a super-mean bullfrog that had a death grip on his creature bait, the hook never went in him, but he just would not let go of that thing until I pried open his mouth with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Freog.jpg

The third spot, using a perch colored spinner-bait, I had a really good hit, the fish turned with the lure and then it came out, what a piss-off! By the way that it hit and reacted to the pressure and did a couple of head-shakes, it felt like a musky, but I never did see it, only a big swirl when it turned, so it is hard to say for sure.

Another half hour at the spot brought no hits, so we hit up the fourth spot, and you guessed it, nothing going on, I realize that we were fishing at the wrong time of day, but I figured that we would have a little more action than this!

All in all a pretty slow day today, but at least I didn't get skunked, I felt kind of bad for my buddy, this is twice in a row now coming up empty handed!

Daryl