small hsp motors

luv2drift

I bought a 2 HP Yamaha that I found on the internet this Spring.

yamaha-2hp.edited.JPG

What's your budget? I researched all the current sub 3 hp motors and can give you some info there.

Hit Craiglist or Kijiji for used stuff or call round Marina's. For small motors target places that cater to the sailing crowd as they typically use these small kickers for their yachts and tenders.

Any q's pm me.

I have a 3.3 hp mariner, my bud has a 2.2 hp johnson, if you take the cowlings off of them, they both look the same really. Mine has a neutral gear, his is start in gear. Thats about the only difference other than cosmetics really. Both work just fine.

I would use the gas motors vs. the electric, you can carry extra gas, but its harder to recharge a battery in the bush. It all depends on where you are using it, and for how long.

We mainly troll for walleye, and a full tank(a little over 1 litre) lasts 4.5 hrs. before refilling. We just carry extra gas in the small 4 litre gas cans, and that gives us 3 refills if needed.

We do a couple of trips each year that require us to travel 20 kms through waterways to get to our destination, sometimes fishing the way up, sometimes straight running, but not at full throttle. We carry a lot of gear, and our canoes become displacement hulls with the weight, so 1/2 to 3/4's throttle is all that is needed, full throttle will not make the canoe go any faster, just waste gas. We can usually go about 14-15 kms on a tank straight running. Then refill, finish our run-up, fish for about 6-7 hrs., and have enough gas left to run back with a bit to spare.

And, the plastic props on them are great, have scraped the bottom many times over the years, and you can just use a file to rid the prop of gouges and nicks. I have a spare prop, but have yet to use it, :D . And that has been since 1995 when I bought my mariner.

Don't forget to look at the 4 strokes, another bud bought a 2 hp Honda, and it is lighter than my mariner, by about 6 lbs. and more environmentally friendly and quieter. When we are trolling along, my bud in the front of the canoe has to raise his voice for me to hear him, the 2 strokes are quite loud when they are only 2 ft. away from you.