South Bay Nipissing Report

Andy

Just came back from Nipissing Lodge on Nipissing. Awesome weather, one blow day that kept me in by the islands and away from the Gull rocks and the pickeral. Fished mainly pickeral and musky. Pickeral were fairly cooperative on minnows, quite a few boats by the shoals in the area of the Gull rocks the last night or two. A lot of fish in the slot, a couple over, couple under. Some nice bass there. Lots of small perch when using worms. Spent a lot of time casting and trolling for musky without seeing a single one. Started working the weeds from 5 to 12 feet in the flats in and around Hunters Bay and the South River with a few pike being caught, largest 29". Then worked the smaller islands and rock piles for musky, nothing. Trolled and casted around the islands and shoals like Beacon island, the red bouy, Musky Bay, negative results. Didn't see any other musky guys at all while I was there. Is there a reason for that? I'm sure they are there, maybe just not big numbers. I may just need more time to figure it out, I hope. Anyone else struggle for musky in that area? This is link for where I stayed.

http://www.nipissing-lodge.com/

Andy

Is there a reason for that? I'm sure they are there, maybe just not big numbers. I may just need more time to figure it out, I hope.

Plenty of big muskies in Nipissing Andy, they just don't come easy.

How were the water levels, still about normal ??

Plenty of big muskies in Nipissing Andy, they just don't come easy.

How were the water levels, still about normal ??

"Plenty of big muskies in Nipissing Andy, they just don't come easy." Amen to that! It'll make that first one all the sweeter.

"How were the water levels, still about normal ??"

Water levels were still very good. I thought they are as high as I have seen in many years for this time of year. And I found the weed growth quite good, weeds very green and healthy. Water temps (surface) in the South Bay area ranged for 80 F the first day to 75 F after the blow day.

Good luck at the other corner of the lake when you head up. I'm gonna tackle the South Bay area again next week. (once my wrists and hands have recovered from the last trip)

Andy

Lots of musky guys out on the lake. Been a slower then normal year so far. Ya water temps are HIGH. 78F in most bays where water was less then 4'. I went all over the west end looking for muskie and had no luck. THe guide I was with (not guiding) has been on the lake 9 years and mainly fishes Callander Bay and South Shore but has recently expanded into the west arm area to target the greater #s of muskie and fewer anglers.