NF how do you crack a rock to find a fossil

Handlebarz

Ok I know that I will get a bunch of crazy answers and most will be around Roy or some of our other aging members.

What I want to know is how do you find rocks that might have fossils in them? I will be in a area this summer that should have them I have heard of people doing this before but have never tried any ideas or help???

I will be in North Dakota in some of the Bad lands and thought this would be a fun thing to do with the kids.

Ok I know that I will get a bunch of crazy answers and most will be around Roy or some of our other aging members.

What I want to know is how do you find rocks that might have fossils in them? I will be in a area this summer that should have them I have heard of people doing this before but have never tried any ideas or help???

I will be in North Dakota in some of the Bad lands and thought this would be a fun thing to do with the kids.

Geology Rocks man! I'm a self proclaimed rockhound.

If the fossils are in limestone or clay, which they probably are, then you are best to bring a rock-pick (rock hammer) and a chisel, open the rocks at the fissures and cracks and carefully open them up, look at every layer before moving on.

Other times, just smashing rocks will expose some nice specimens.

The best place to look is near the water, where the fossils will be exposed by natural erosion.

Good luck! post photos if you find cool ones.

A cool fact about fossils is that they are not bones anymore, but actual rock that has replaced the organic material.

Usually Mike, fossils in that area are found in shale deposits,and sandstone, because it was underwater at one time. Alot of the time, you can actually see them sticking out ot sandstone cliff faces.Shale can be split by hitting it with a small hanner on the edge of the rock.It will split into slices and flakes like a pastry. The fossils will be between these layers like leaves pressed in a book.Plants,mollusks, small fish and Trilobytes will be the most common fossils found.

Paul.

P.S.

Roy is..........naw, cant do itrofl2.gif