Nipigon River

Hello,

This summer my dad and I will be going up to the nipigon river for a week in junethumbsup_anim.gif. We will be swinging streamers mostly, and I have been tying a lot of Zuddler patterns and smelt patterns. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on some other flies that might work for coasters. Please PM if you do not want to share in the comments

Thanks for the helpgood.gif

Sean

Edited by DundasSteelheader

Zuddler patterns are smelt patterns.

Thanks for the helpgood.gif

Sean

I assume that you meant Muddler and Smelt patterns??

Both are great choices and will catch fish. A big fat, bulkier fly will definately outperform a streamline smelt pattern. Weighted deer hair muddlers (1/4 oz. jigs in my case)are magic, and although I've never used one, I'd bet that a deer hair mouse, bulkier throughout the entire body, would be even better. Nipigon Brookies rarely sip tiny flies from the waters surface. They're after the meat and potatoes below the surface. Go big and bulky, or go home.

Also, I hope you're bringing a decent sized boat. I'd guess that only 1% of the entire river is accessable without a boat. And of course the best fising is on the other 99%.

Nope, I mean Zuddler smile.gif . Its a cross between a zonker and a muddler. Basically its some krystal flash, White rabbit strip, white dubbing body, and spun deer hair for the head along with some rubber legs. That, with lots of lead and a conehead to get it down quick. The fly farther back is a smelt pattern previously suggested to me to try. Thanks for the suggestions Dan thumbsup_anim.gif, I will tie some normal muddlers as well. And to answer both of your questions, I will have a boat, a 16fter and I am staying at Nipigon River Adventures Lodge.

This is a pic of both flies.

IMG_4325.jpg

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

If you don't already, i'd throw some more subtle colours in there... something like an olive coloured strip leech... :whistling:

I would also say that you should be prepared to get your presentation deep and when you retrieve your presentation to make it very active and get your arms, hips and legs into the action.

It's a great time up there.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Thanks for the tips guys smile.gif. Dr.Salvelinus, I will tie some olive zuddlers as soon as I can get to the fly shop to pick up some more rabbit. I am putting lots of lead on them because someone else who has been there said that its very important to get the fly deep quickly, like you just said. Thanks for the tip about making the fly active, I didn't know that good.gif

Sean