Fishing Lake Kagawong

brixtonbeat

I'm heaing up there this weekend. I'm a certified novice. Has anyone been there that can offer me any advice. I would prefer not to leave the weekend with nothing.

One of my favorate lakes to fish. My Grandmother has a place up on the island so as a kid I would go up there every summer and fish kagawong for smallies and hammerhandle pike. I havent been up there in 6 or 7 years but I would suggest using simple tackle such as jigs w/ minnows, jigs /grubs and tubes. Some areas you might want to try are Mud bay and Kakaway island.

Be very careful boating on Kawawong. For the most part its a deep bowl lake but there are also some big boulders and shoals that need to be respected. Also, get off the lake the first sign of bad weather. Kagawong gets real nasty in during storms. When I was in my teens I got stuck on Kagawong during a storm with my Uncles boat. The engine decided to die on me so I so was stuck out on the middle of the lake with giant waves crashing into the boat. I kept bailing out the boat as quick as I could and drifted to shore until I jumped out of the boat moments before it crashed into the rocky shoreline. Not a fun experence. Take caution.

Edited by Whitemikeca