Electric trolling motors

I am looking at installing an electric trolling motor on my boat. No room on the transom because of a swim platform. To mount a bow mount I would have to cut the rail and build a platform and reinforce the deck from inside. I think my only real option is to go with an engine mounted electric trolling motor. I think I will go with a Minn kota as the dealer network for the Navigator seems week. What are the pros and cons of the engine mounts? May they be used with a Davis Whale Tale hydrofoil? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I wouldn't give up on a bow mounted unit. At low speed, pulling the bow around is far more efficient than pushing the transom. There are self deploying bow mounts that can be located in awkward to reach locations. There must be something available out there. I'm sure your not the first guy with this problem.

With a unit mounted to the top of the cavitation plate two disadvantages come to mind.

1. Trolling motors are very useful in shallow water where you might want to have your lower unit raised, with the trolling motor above the main prop it will be out of the water.

2. In tight quarters, trolling motors mounted on the bow steer more quickly than transom mounted units. Units mounted to the main motor steer even slower than transom mounted units.

The also add alot of drag when you are getting up on plane. After you are on plane they are out of the water. You have to turn the whole motor to steer them which after doing all day wears on you. Bow mount all the way I say.

Art

I wouldn't give up on a bow mounted unit. At low speed, pulling the bow around is far more efficient than pushing the transom. There are self deploying bow mounts that can be located in awkward to reach locations. There must be something available out there. I'm sure your not the first guy with this problem.

With a unit mounted to the top of the cavitation plate two disadvantages come to mind.

1. Trolling motors are very useful in shallow water where you might want to have your lower unit raised, with the trolling motor above the main prop it will be out of the water.

2. In tight quarters, trolling motors mounted on the bow steer more quickly than transom mounted units. Units mounted to the main motor steer even slower than transom mounted units.