More pike fishing

Garry2Rs

Yesterday I went out again for pike. The lake was very calm. With no wave action and with the brighter sky the fishing wasn't as good in the rain and wind last Monday.

My 5" White on clear, Glass Minnow pattern Husky Jerk only got one follow, but when I switched to a Live Target Smelt, which was gold and runs a little deeper I got two in a row.

I think that the Husky Jerk wasn't working because a white bait would seem very bright on a sunny day in calm clear water. It also doesn't want to go as deep as the smelt does.

On the weekend, when there were overcast skies and lots of wave action, the fish were much braver and I believe the larger brighter coloured bait was easier for them to see and zero in on. Today a more realistic paint job, and a little more depth, was better.

Of coarse, more depth has it's drawbacks too...

001-8.jpg

Garry

As aggressive as pike are, they do get finicky about moving up for a bait....seems that they'll slash at all kinds of things, so long as you get them to the right depth. Early in the season, anyway.

Risky business, waving that stick in front of Buck....hope you didn't have to do another detangling job w00t.gif

Speaking of pike and water column, I was getting lots of smacks when I used topwater gear this past weekend (Zara Spooks and Buzzbaits). We figured it was spawning bass being protective. Would you say that assumption is correct or do pike often smack top waters with their tail as well? There was no follow-up bite or follows to the boat, just smacks within 10ft of shore/cover.

Speaking of pike and water column, I was getting lots of smacks when I used topwater gear this past weekend (Zara Spooks and Buzzbaits). We figured it was spawning bass being protective. Would you say that assumption is correct or do pike often smack top waters with their tail as well? There was no follow-up bite or follows to the boat, just smacks within 10ft of shore/cover.

I have had Sunfish smack surface baits, when they are spawning, at this time of year.

With Pike, they tend to bite a piece off...HAHAHA