Muskoka Lake

Hi Everyone,

I have a boat rented out on Muskoka Lake around the first week of July, this will be my first time on the lake and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what fish can be caught and any tips on baits, lures and tactics etc.

I've heard the lake can be quite hard to fish but there are some big Pike to be caught.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Colin.

I was out there for the past week, its a great lake to fish it has some of the best Small-mouth fishing in Ontario and good pike and walleye fishing if you know where to go.

For pike tips I have found they love fire tiger colors at least when it was really sunny.

Edited by coreyhkh

I was out there for the past week, its a great lake to fish it has some of the best Small-mouth fishing in Ontario and good pike and walleye fishing if you know where to go.

For pike tips I have found they love fire tiger colors at least when it was really sunny.

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the tips, not sure where to go but will know in a few days time where the boat will be put in, apparently its a huge lake so finding the fish will be difficult I would imagine.

Hi Corey,

Thanks for the tips, not sure where to go but will know in a few days time where the boat will be put in, apparently its a huge lake so finding the fish will be difficult I would imagine.

For BIG pike in the summer- troll DEEP- 20' at least, they are there.

Yes its a fair size lake but fish are everywhere pretty much, if you have a fish finder you should have know problem finding them, getting them to bite that another story lol.

Hi Corey,

Yes I've been looking at the lake on google maps and its huge, also heard its a very difficult lake to get the fish to bite, but hey ho you gotta be in it to win it so I'll give it a good go.

Hi Guys n Gals,

Finally found out where the boat will be on Lake Muskoka, it can be launched in either of the following areas:

Gravenhurst.

Bracebridge.

Bala.

So any helpful information on these venues with regard to fishing would be much appreciated and help me decide where to get it launched.

Cheers

Colin.

I have fished out of all 3 but mostly out of Gravenhurst and Bracebridge. If you want bass then well they are every where just try near shore along drop offs or on weedbeds, or even better if you can just go fish under peoples docks.

If you want Pike then if you lunch out of Gravenhurst then you can try fishing near the fire collage there is a bay there with good weeds. You you go out of Bracebridge then you can fish allports bay.

Unfortunately for walleye I don't know any reliable sports except at the mouth of the river in the evening and at night.

PM me if you need any more help.

I have fished out of all 3 but mostly out of Gravenhurst and Bracebridge. If you want bass then well they are every where just try near shore along drop offs or on weedbeds, or even better if you can just go fish under peoples docks.

If you want Pike then if you lunch out of Gravenhurst then you can try fishing near the fire collage there is a bay there with good weeds. You you go out of Bracebridge then you can fish allports bay.

Unfortunately for walleye I don't know any reliable sports except at the mouth of the river in the evening and at night.

There are more Walleye than people know- troll shorelines with minnow baits in the evening- you will get a few that way. There are Pike there pushing 30 lbs believe it or not, although my largest were in the low 20's- like I said before, my largest Pike come in the hottest summers. The best lure for some reason has been a deep down Berkley Frenzy in Crawdad- but after a bruiser or two the hook hangers will likely fail- not meant for large fish. PLease be courteous around docks- nothing upsets cottagers more than some guy leaving tackle on there docks, props or ringing jigs off their boats.

Hi Corey,

Thats great mate, thanks very much for the tips, I'll give it a go and let you know how it went.

Cheers

Colin.

There are more Walleye than people know- troll shorelines with minnow baits in the evening- you will get a few that way. There are Pike there pushing 30 lbs believe it or not, although my largest were in the low 20's- like I said before, my largest Pike come in the hottest summers. The best lure for some reason has been a deep down Berkley Frenzy in Crawdad- but after a bruiser or two the hook hangers will likely fail- not meant for large fish. PLease be courteous around docks- nothing upsets cottagers more than some guy leaving tackle on there docks, props or ringing jigs off their boats.

Hey Musky,

Thanks for the info, it's a great help.

I certainly have the most respect for other peoples property and land so will be very careful when fishing around other peoples docks etc.

Not sure when we will be going but be sure that I will post on here and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

Colin.

if you launch in gravenhust bay there are enough productive areas to keep you busy for most of a day. I've fished L Muskoka a few times and we never really left the bay at all (other than to take a quick look around)

Hey Rizzo,

Sounds good to me, will let you guys know how I get on, still not sure when I'm going but beginning of July now looks promising.

Colin.

Smallies in Julky are almiost everywhere, as stated above the pike will be in areas that are from 15-35 feet.

For eyes try the weedbeds near the mouth of the river.

As for how big the pike get I saw a 50 inch one last week and check out my avatatar somewhewre between 28 and 32 pounds

Smallies in Julky are almiost everywhere, as stated above the pike will be in areas that are from 15-35 feet.

For eyes try the weedbeds near the mouth of the river.

As for how big the pike get I saw a 50 inch one last week and check out my avatatar somewhewre between 28 and 32 pounds

Hi Bucktail,

Thanks for the info, and a 50 inch Pike is a big lump, my biggest Pike so far is 31 lbs and nowhere near that long.

Cheers

Colin.