Trout fisherman: old habits die hard

singingdog

The last couple of outings on area lakes have been great for lake trout: 58 degrees on the surface, lots of fish.....no trolling! I don't know how many folks I have talked to that are out over 40-80' of water, slow trolling 20-40' down for trout. Meanwhile, I am casting spoons and bucktail jigs into 5-10' of water, right against the bank, and hammering the fish. I sat in a bay on Saturday and watched 2 boats out on the main lake go fishless for 2 hours while the shallow-water bite was amazing. It seems like lots of folks have one mindset for lake trout: slow trolling. When the water temps are below 60 degrees, you may catch way more fish - and definitly cover way more water - casting for them.

You watched me this weekend? I am guilty of using tactics that produce regularly even though this time of year not so much. I've caught a few trout in shallow casting tubes and spoons but stick to trolling leadcore. I caught fish this weekend 40 feet down over 50-60 feet. Didnt mark any shallow but would probably mark less with the motor running. Surface water temps doubled this weekend past over two weekends ago.