Chosing a casting reel.

Live2fish85

Is weight a concern? If you want something in the sub-8oz territory for under $100, your best bet is Caenan. No need to think further. I personally don't think that Citica is worth paying the difference. It's not a high end reel. I seldom catch fish big enough to really "need" a metal frame. It's more of a marketing scheme for companies to lure bass fishermen to buy metal frame reels. Now of course if you're into bigger species or even saltwater fishing, it's a different story.

If weight is less of a concern, I would also look at the Revo S or SX. MSRP of these reels are higher than Caenan, but you can usually get a new one off Ebay for less than $100.

Another choice is the Cabela's Prodigy. Same as the older Daiwa Advantage. I have seen them on sale for only about $70.

Having said that, I think the best value stuff really comes at around the $200 mark. Curado and Revo STX are my favourites in that price range.

I'll add a small point on the topic of metal v "plastic" in baitcasting reels.

All of my baitcasters are aluminum, but my diawa linecounter is plastic and when it is really cold out I have no problem holding the reel in the palm of my hand.

It's not often an issue, but something I do consider when it's early or late in the season. :Gonefishing: