Fly Fishing Question

Hi,

I just bought my first fly reel, and from what I understand you need backing and then fly line. I am going to be using this reel for Steelhead. My question is where can I buy some backing, and what kind of WF fly line would you recommend for steelhead/salmon?

Thanks,

Sean smile.gif

OK,your fly reel should be identified as to what weight line it can take. The fly line you want is 6,7 or 8 weight for steelhead. Now you have to get a pole to match your reel and line weight. So,you put on an 8 weight line(or whatever) on your reel then you need an 8 weight pole. The backing on the fly reel can be dacron of some kind. Fly shop will have backing and probably set up your reel for you and set you up with a matching pole.

OK,your fly reel should be identified as to what weight line it can take. The fly line you want is 6,7 or 8 weight for steelhead. Now you have to get a pole to match your reel and line weight. So,you put on an 8 weight line(or whatever) on your reel then you need an 8 weight pole. The backing on the fly reel can be dacron of some kind. Fly shop will have backing and probably set up your reel for you and set you up with a matching pole.

Yes, it is an 8 weight reel, and I have an 8 weight blank that I am going to be building on, I'm just wondering what line the steelheaders on here use, and I'll check my local fly fishing shop next time im there to see if they have backing.

Thanks for the response smile.gif

Sean

Yes, it is an 8 weight reel, and I have an 8 weight blank that I am going to be building on, I'm just wondering what line the steelheaders on here use, and I'll check my local fly fishing shop next time im there to see if they have backing.

Thanks for the response smile.gif

Sean

OK,your on the money then Sean...I would go with a WF floating line...

Go with a steelhead/salmon taper line - they're designed with a shorter front taper to turn over big files. Failing that the Scientifc Anglers GPX is a similar shape and is half a weight heavier so it'll load the rod easier at short distances. An 8wt setup would also work for bass to get your eye in over the summer :)

If you're in Dundas, your nearest fly shop is Grindstone in Waterdown - they'll set you up properly.

Depends on how you mostly plan on fishing. If you're primarily going to be dead drifting nymphs and egg patterns under a strike indicator the absolute best line I've ever used for that is the Wulff Triangle Taper.

It finnesse casts and mends like no other and can turn over a weighted fly and indicator with ease.

If you'll be firing out streamers and spey flies and swinging them you may want to check out the Scientific Anglers Sharkskin line in the steelhead taper. Truly amazing line.

Go with a steelhead/salmon taper line - they're designed with a shorter front taper to turn over big files. Failing that the Scientifc Anglers GPX is a similar shape and is half a weight heavier so it'll load the rod easier at short distances. An 8wt setup would also work for bass to get your eye in over the summer :)

If you're in Dundas, your nearest fly shop is Grindstone in Waterdown - they'll set you up properly.

Thanks for the relpy Cuzza,

I was looking at a Rio Steelhead taper, but they're a bit pricey for a beginner... I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a good line that will last me for many seasons. Have any recommendations for a sink tip line?

If you're thinking of geting a sink tip line and a floating line I woud suggest getting an instint sink tip. An instant sink tip attaches onto your line by a loop to loop conection thus you will only need one line so you willl save some money and not have to cary two reels with line loaded. If you want to get a sink tip line I would recommend going to grindstone angling (or any fly shop) and they will be able to help you with finding one that wil suite the application that you need it for.

Jacob

Depends on how you mostly plan on fishing. If you're primarily going to be dead drifting nymphs and egg patterns under a strike indicator the absolute best line I've ever used for that is the Wulff Triangle Taper.

It finnesse casts and mends like no other and can turn over a weighted fly and indicator with ease.

If you'll be firing out streamers and spey flies and swinging them you may want to check out the Scientific Anglers Sharkskin line in the steelhead taper. Truly amazing line.

Thanks for the recommendation. Based on that review I am looking at the Wulff Triangle Taper as I will mostly be fishing with an indicator. Thanks for the info good.gif

If you're thinking of geting a sink tip line and a floating line I woud suggest getting an instint sink tip. An instant sink tip attaches onto your line by a loop to loop conection thus you will only need one line so you willl save some money and not have to cary two reels with line loaded. If you want to get a sink tip line I would recommend going to grindstone angling (or any fly shop) and they will be able to help you with finding one that wil suite the application that you need it for.

Jacob

Yea, I've heard of multi-tip lines, but they have mixed reviews (assuming we're talking about the same thing here). I think I will just get a spare spool and have a sink tip on one and a floating line on the other. I will be going to the Grindstone later this week. Thanks for the recommendation smile.gif

When fly fishing you cast the line and the leader + fly just go along for the ride. The line should be sized to go with your rod. So if you have a 7 weight rod you get a 7 weight line. I personally prefer a weight forward line but I do cut of a foot or so of the forward part. Fly reels are nothing more than convient storage for the line and on ocassion a means of fighting the fish with the reel.

If you're a beginner you could look at the Rio Mainstream trout line - only $40 and a little shorter than most lines at 80ft but with an easy to cast taper - in an 8wt it will still cast most steelhead stuff, if you're fishing eggs with lots of shot and an indicator then you don't need a fancy line, it casts itself. I have the bass version of the mainstream and it's very good.

You don't need a sink tip line just a poly-leader ( http://www.rioproducts.com/leaders/versileaders/Freshwater-VersiLeaders ) - these replace your standard monofilament tapered leader and are available in different sink rates, I carry a fast sinker and an extra fast so I effectively have two different sink tips, you then add a few feet of tippet to them (not a full leader) and you're good to go. This is different to the multi tip lines which have a longer interchangeable section.