Buckhorn area Crappie

Garry2Rs

I have been out several times this week looking for Crappie. There are lots of Sunfish, but fishing from shore I only found a few Crappie, and these were all around some very shallow weeds. These were tall coontail type weeds left over from last year and pretty sick looking...

Today I got out in the boat with a client. All my regular early season spots were empty early this morning.

We went for a boat ride and checked the back of a big windblown bay were I have had early season success before.

Usually the first fish are behind a small island at the back of this cove. Today the action there was quite good, and the fish were on the large size.

Interestingly, the sheltered area where I usually connect wasn't as good as a more open area a few yards away.

There are a series of docks there and it was on a straight line with the wind, and I think it was where all the warmer surface water was piling up.

So, until we get some warmer weather and some fresh weeds. I would check around any cover in the backs of bays that have the wind blowing into them.

Garry2r's

Thanks for the heads up, Garry,

We did quite well on Saturday at one of our traditional spots, but they weren't on the "spot on the spot" that they usually are and still not in the numbers they can be. There was no wind to speak of, so I can't comment on your theory.