Marathon Florida Keys Fishing

chrispyke

I know thre is an absolute wealth of information on this board !

I'm heading to Florida tommorow and will have a chance to fish the keys for a few days in mid-April around Marathon?Ismoralda.

Has anyone been ?

I will be renting a 22' boat for a few days. Looking for tips, tackle, bait suggestions? Anything that would help me catch some fish! :Gonefishing:

I've hear there is a reef 6 miles out on the Atlantic side that may be good, but have access to Florida Bay too.

Thanks,

Balsam Laker

You'll be there for prime time Tarpon fishing the bridges!!! :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Anchor on the up current side of the bridge and soak live mullet on 20# spinning or casting outfits. Make sure to tie a short Bimini twist (3-6 feet)and finish with a heavy leader of about 6' of 100# mono or flouro to a circle hook sized to your bait. Make sure you have lots of line and a couple of others on board because when the hit comes it's pandemonium!!! :lol:

You will need one on the rod, one on the helm and one to take car of anchor pulling duty. It's best if you are using an anchor bouy so you can just cast off the anchor line and come back to it after the fight. You can also fid good schools of Jacks around the bridges.

I have fished reefs of Islamarada and caught some jumbo Amber Jacks but it was further out in the ocean (12-14 miles). I have not fished the inshore reefs for yellowtail and snapper so can't help you there.

I also haven't fished the bay, but it is on my to do list. :D

I have a standing invite from a guide buddy in Tampa to come and spend a week fishing the flats down there. Hopefully this time next spring I will be fly fishing for Reds, Bones, Snook and Tarpon!!! :clapping::clapping:

Personally I have None...

But I have a freind who did some fishing down there for Tuna, and Mahi Mahi(Dolphin as they call it)

The single biggest tip he passed on to me was about the Birds....

Watch for flocks of birds on the water.

They are there because Bait fish are so that will help you locate fish in those vast open area's of water.

But thats about all I have to pass along,

Good luck